Friday, January 2, 2015

Awkward Triptych

Finch dried her hair, having showered when they got back home because frankly the smell of gunpowder wasn't all that appealing to her pregnancy-sensitive nose. Her flannel bottoms hung low on her hip, and her over-sized sleep shirt was starting to stretch over her body. She knew she had to face the music eventually, so she padded out to the sitting room to face the two men there.

Thaddeus looked pale, and Vance looked red. The television was on, but neither man was looking at one another. Their eyes both tracked the woman coming into the room.

"Lo, bird," Vance said, shifting his knees, still a bit knobby on his lanky legs under his jeans.

"She don't let me call her that neither," Thad muttered.

Finch bit her lip, looking at them with a contrite expression on her features. "What happens now?"

"You come and sit, and we revisit an old conversation," Vance said gently. "Come here, Finch."

"I really don't need to be here for this," Thad said.

"Yes, you do."

Finch's heart beat hard in her chest as she sat between them, looking at Vance with shiny eyes. "I feel like I should ask if I'm in trouble. You both look awful."

"Only because your fiance doesn't seem to understand that you told me to piss off," Thaddeus said, leaning further away.

"Because she fears turning into her mother," Vance said, reaching for Finch's hands. "I told you, darlin', if it came to it, we'd re-evaluate where we're at."

"You're bloody engaged!" Thad puffed up.

"I don't need a bunch of people like mum, Vance," Finch told him, for some reason feeling like she wanted to cry. "I don't! I promise, you're enough. That's what marriages are, proper ones. Aren't they?"

"He's not a very big fellow," Vance said, lifting Finch's hands to his lips. "And yes, the timing is a bit poor to realize you might be having feelings for someone else. But your mum understands, love doesn't get used up."

"It doesn't get used up, but spreading it about spreads jealousy, envy," Thaddeus said, pressing against the arm of the sofa. He had his hands in his long black hair, frustrated.

"And you love her," Vance said.

"Yes, I bloody love her!" Thaddeus roared. "Piss off, Scarface! She's already made it clear she don't want me around. It's too hard and stresses her out. Let her have her monogamous marriage and miniature you and let me go figure out how to pick up the pieces."

"I-I don't know what to say," Finch whispered, taken aback by Thad's shouting. She leaned closer to Vance, looking up at him. "What am I supposed to do? I don't know how to make you both happy."

"Finch, you're to be my wife," Vance said. "We knew, we both knew from the very beginning my work would keep me gone for days, weeks, sometimes more. I told you, I'd never once stand in the way of you finding someone to warm your bed. So long as I remain yours." He looked at Thaddeus. "I'll not share her while I'm home."

"You shouldn't want to share her while you're gone," Thad replied. "Cruelness."

"Realism," Vance countered. "This ain't some fairly tale, nor book story, or tragedy. I mean to be happy, honest, real. This-" He pointed at the two of them. "This is real. And the pain is real. Why you both hurtin' when there's no need to?"

"B-But-" Finch looked between them, guilt welling up in her throat. Guilt at how Vance was being so kind, and how Thad was looking so hurt, and how- how- she shook her head, deciding her hands were a better place to focus her gaze. "I care for him," she mumbled.

"Maybe we're going about this the wrong way," Vance said, covering Finch's hand. He reached across her, dragging Thad's own to join theirs. "Would it be easier if I were here?"

Finch's eyes widened, and her face turned red, the images flickering in her mind making her blush. Vance curled close to Finch's side. "Kiss him then," he urged.

Thad shook his head, a blush growing on his own face.

"He doesn't like me like that," Finch said, denial an easier thing to say than how she really felt. "He wouldn't want it-"

Vance grasped Thad's shirt, pulling him closer. Finch's back was pressed to Vance's back. "Yes he does, look at him," he murmured. "Torn up because he can see how much you're mine." He dragged his hand over Finch's stomach, making her bump more obvious. "He licks his lips because he imagines yours back on them."

Thad made a strange noise in his throat. He almost jerked back when he felt a much-larger-than-usual hand cup the back of his hand, twining in his straight hair.

Vance whispered into Finch's ear. "Go on, then - show me what you're both guilting yourselves over."

Finch's breath caught in her chest, pupils blown wide at Thad's close face. Her lips parted. "I w-want- I need-"

Thaddeus wasn't one to look a gift horse in the mouth. He surged forward, clashing their lips together, grasping at Vance's shoulder across her own, hand gripped in the man's shirt. Strange, so strange. Finch moaned, teeth crashing with his in the sloppy kiss.

"Thad-"

"Finch," Thaddeus replied, forehead against hers. "Please," he begged. "Please." He drew a hand up her leg, kissing at the side of her mouth. She shivered, and if Vance hadn't been just behind her she would've said no. But she nodded.

"Yes," Finch breathed, trying not to sob with relief. "Yes, please."

Thaddeus drew closer with urging from Vance's hand. Vance watched as their mouths pressed together again - a beautiful desperation that had him hard against Finch's back. He stroked down Finch's stomach, touching her through her clothes, rubbing at her through her pants as he rocked against her, panting into her hair. She wriggled against him, kissing Thad again now that she was 'allowed'. His long hair tickled her throat and face. When Vance touched her, touched any part of her, she felt on fire but this- this was so new, so exciting. If Vance was a fire, together they were an inferno. Hell fire.

Vance nuzzled at her hair, pushing it aside to kiss up and down, suckling at her neck as he scooped her up into his lap for better access. The pressure on his lap was making him groan more as he and Thaddeus kissed and touched every inch of Finch. Vance - testing the waters - caught Thad's lips with his own as Thaddeus broke off for air.

Thaddeus pulled back.

"I'm not-"

"Thad," Finch turned his chin back to her, catching his lips, too. "Shut up."

Vance huffed in amusement as he worked his hand inside Finch's pants, scooting them down her hips. Thad let himself be hushed by Finch's bolder and bolder kisses. He was practically shivering all over as he stroked her face, arms, sides. He was adjusting to the strangeness of the occasional brush of skin from Vance, intentional strokes of affection- affection? back from the girl he loved's boyfriend.

"She's wet," Vance purred, slipping a finger inside Finch as she was distracted. "Mmm, she's so excited by this."

"Ah-ah," Finch gasped a protest, except it was so true. "Just- I'm just- This is so-" She whimpered, melting at his touch. "How are we- What-"

"Help me off with her pants," Vance said, a glint in his good eye as he passed her towards Thad's lap.

"What are we-" Thad asked.

"Would you both just stop thinking?" Vance laughed, unzipping his own jeans as he pulled Finch backwards, Thad's hands dragging her flannel pants away. "Spread a bit, bird," he murmured, pulling his cock from his jeans beneath her. She opened her legs, heavy-lidded eyes barely blinking open when they started unclothing her.

"Can't stop thinkin'," Finch said, fingers touching Thad's face gently.

"Well don't stop kissing me," Thaddeus demanded, as he watched the pink skin of Vance's cock appear, then disappear into- he gasped, reaching hesitantly to touch them, connected. He took up Finch's mouth again. Her tongue slid into his mouth, with his, until,

"Oh, oh, yess," she hissed as Vance moved inside her.

"There she is," Vance groaned, pushing up. He panted, holding her tightly before reaching back out to pull Thad closer. "My bird, my lovely bird, gorgeous Finch. Look so lovely with someone as lovely as you."

"God, God, V-Vance," Finch chanted, her body brushing with Thad's when Vance moved her. She gripped Thad's shoulders hard, for balance, and pulled him closer to kiss. "Th-Thad-"

"Oh my God," Thad panted, hips moving to get the bit of friction he could manage from his tight jeans.

"Darlin', I think your friend needs a little hand," Vance said into her ear. He wasn't racing towards any end, just enjoying the back and forth of Finch clenching around him, wetness seeping down everywhere.

"Yes, yes, please," Thaddeus begged into Finch's kisses.

Her skilled artist's hands had his jeans open and unzipped in a smooth motion usually reserved for brush strokes, skin finding velvety hard skin, stroking over him. "D-Do you love me?"

Thad nodded, bucking into her small hands. "Yes, yes, god yes," he panted. "Love you."

"Love you," Vance echoed into her ear, moving quicker now. Their positions on the sofa were so very precarious. They were all grasping at one another as they moved, bodies tightening, shifting, until finally they broke. Finch gasped desperately as she came, continuing to stroke Thad's hard cock, head thrown back on Vance's shoulder. She turned her face to kiss him, open-mouthed and panting, clenching hard around his member.

Thad came across Finch's shirt, and Vance finally let himself groan out completion. Panting mouths and sweaty bodies seemed to melt. Vance helped Finch off his lap and let her curl against a collapsed Thaddeus.

"Stay, I'll grab you clean things," he said, voice gone rough. Finch nodded, listening to the pounding of Thad's heart in his chest. Stronger than hers.

Thaddeus carefully wrapped his arms around her.

"Am I still fired?" he asked softly.

Finch huffed, face turning grumpy. "You were very mean to me. You made fun of how much I take off. I should work more-"

"Wouldn't care as much if I got to see you at home," Thad said, poking her nose. "Don't frown so. You just got shagged."

"You're making me frown," Finch pointed out, shivering in his arms. She looked up at him. "You alright?"

"Brill, possibly," Thad said. "Depends on what happens next. I don't really have a lot of repeat performances, and I'm not gay."

"That may have lost you a few repeat performances," Vance said, smirking as he carried over clean clothes - for both of them. He'd changed in his own pyjamas. Finch pulled out of Thad's arms, reaching for her shirt. She got shy when she took off her soiled shirt, blushing when she hurried to put her new one on.

"You don't have to be gay to have sex with someone," Finch mumbled, hurrying through changing.

Vance held her pants as he helped her slip into them. "Why label yourself?" he asked. "Only labels you need are yours, mine, and love." He cupped Finch's cheek, kissing her softly. "Right?"

Finch smiled, toying with the edges of his hair. "Right. Where are we sleeping? I think the baby bird wants to rest."

"The master bedroom tonight, I think," Vance said, scooping her up. "I don't want him in the loft. He has his own room."

"I can stay?" Thad asked, pulling on his clean shirt, and untucking his long straight hair.

Finch looked over Vance's shoulder as he carried her, eyes alight in the dim room. "Yes. You can stay."

Thad was on his feet, after them like an overexcited puppy. In a way, he felt a bit like a pet allowed to sleep on the furniture. Still, given Finch's permission was a rush through his veins. Even if it did mean just across the bed was a six-foot-eight crime lord who snored when he laid on his back and drooled a bit when he laid on his side. The most important thing was the girl who lay between them, tying together two strangers who might've once met in a battlefield.

***

Having a child turned out to be - a full time job. Spencer learned this over the process of a week. He also learned he was very lucky that Liam's vocabulary involved the word 'loo' and he wasn't too fussy unless he needed a nap. By nap time, Spencer was ready for one himself. Friday rolled around again, and Spencer gave Abby one of his cards and told her to get out of the house for fuck's sake and buy many of the things they were lacking for the little gentleman.

He sat with the boy inside the cafe, holding him in his lap while he plied him with chicken salad sandwiches.

Mary's wheels left gentle tracks on the floral carpet as she approached the table slowly. "Hello, my darling. And who do we have here?"

"B'gurl!" Liam squealed in delight around a crummy mouth.

Spencer caught the boy about the waist as he went to launch out of his lap.

"Mum, this is Liam," he laughed. "He's also Batman, judging by how often he flies out of one's arms."

"Aren't you sweet? Look at your lovely little eyes," Mary said, smiling at the child. "Are you enjoying your newest companion, Spencer?"

"He's lovely, Mummy," Spencer said, drawing back the dark hair from the boy's head. "A bit of a handful, though I'm inclined to say he's the most well-behaved child. Terribly in love with Brandon."

"Bananadon!" Liam announced. "Bananadon and pancakes, and and he eated with me and watch'd telly." Spencer rolled his eyes while suppressing a grin.

"I thought you might like to meet him," Spencer said.

"Charmed," Mary said, pouring herself a cup of tea. She really was quite pleased at the little family, although- "A bit young to be considering that sort of commitment, aren't you? What has Bananadon had to say about it?"

"Don't kick him out of his room for a nursery?" Spencer said, hefting Liam back into the toddler seat. The boy calmly went back to chewing on his sandwich and watching Mary with wide interested eyes. "Admittedly, he's also said we're the most impossible people to be parenting him, that I'm too young, he's too dying, and Abby is um-" Spencer looked at the boy. "A c-r-i-m-i-n-a-l."

"Ah, well, I believe your sister's impending motherhood will force her to consider another artist in her shop. And if I even hear so much as a whisper of A-b-b-y returning to her previous jobs, I shall make sure you both lose something very important to you, do I make myself clear?" Mary asked, raising her eyebrows at her son. "I didn't lose six men getting him back just to have your girlfriend put him in danger again."

"She wouldn't dare," Spencer said, handing the boy his sippy cup. He stroked his head again. "He's too precious for that. She's been over the moon, and plans to take care of him until school. I can have him if she wants to work. Benefits to being your own employer. And if we're both busy, Bran is better than I am with him. Really. It's scary, Mum, for a gay man to be so good with kids."

Liam tossed his cup over his shoulder with a thump, no longer interested in food. Instead he was reaching for Mary.

Mary reached over and plucked him from his little toddler seat, placing him in her lap. "There's a good boy. Well, your fathers are gay and they were wonderful for you when you were younger. That's why I left you with them."

Liam giggled, nuzzling into Mary's hair.

"Careful, Mum! He likes hair," Spencer warned. "And Dad is not gay."

"You mean the two men who've been utterly devoted to each other for the last thirty years? Or the one specifically who, other than myself, only likes boys? Which one are you talking about?" Mary remarked wryly. She scrunched her nose at Liam. "Hello, little angel. Talk at me."

Liam beamed at the attention, looking back at Spencer to see if he was watching.

"Who dis?" he asked, touching Mary's cheek.

"I'm his mummy," Mary laughed, eyes sparkling. "Can you believe such a big lad as that has a mummy?"

Liam gasped, making a surprised face. "Aba is my mama," he said.

"Liam, can you call her 'Mare-mare'?" Spencer suggested. "I think the nanny was a bit American."

"Liam, Liam, what a lovely name," Mary said, reaching for a little sandwich for herself. "Has he eaten?"

"Constantly," Spencer laughed. "Brandon's been a big help there. Apparently Abby and I are not to feed the 'baby'."

"No' baby!" Liam said, twisting in Mary's lap. He did have a little hand in her thick curls. He easily laid his head against her shoulder, melting into the arms of a well practiced mum.

"No, no, little man," Spencer said. "You're a big boy now. He uses the lav and everythin'. I highly recommend kidnapping instead of childbirth."

Mary rubbed Liam's little back comfortingly, entirely at ease with the tiny creature. "Hmm, yes, childbirth hurts much more than rescue missions. Oh, I should like to see Brandon with a child. I bet that is hysterical." Her green eyes leveled on her son. "Are you quite certain about all of this?"

Spencer swallowed. He'd been massively uncertain that first night. Now he nodded. "Yeah, Mum," he said. "Yeah, we're not there yet, but I think-" he got up to take the boy from her arms. "I think I wanna be a dad. If Sherlock Holmes can do it, why can't I?"

"Perfect. When can we take him to visit John? I'd like to see the look on his face-" Mary grinned, looking quite like a Cheshire cat.

Spencer laughed. "Soon, I promise. We'll come down the cottage," he said, swinging the boy on his hip. "He's getting sleepy now."

"Nu-uh," Liam said, punctuated by a yawn. He went back to reaching for Mary.

"Dad'll love him, but he's still a bit more keen on women," Spencer said. "Probably why he gets on so well with Bran."

Mary giggled. "Yes, but I didn't tell them yet. I'll be ever so excited. We should surprise them."

Spencer's brows rose. "Oh?" he said. "Oh. Needs must then, Mummy. Let me make a couple of calls. Hold him a minute?"

"I should like that. Liam can sit on my lap and tell me all about Batman," Mary grinned with a wink. She reached out her arms for him. Liam snuggled against Mary's chest, wrapping a hand in her cardigan.

"Shh, b'man's a mysery," Liam said. "An' Robin is a boy." He sniffed, rubbing at his eye. "An' Fin-fin-uh, girl b'man bringed me to Mama."

Spencer had to cover his mouth as he stepped away to call Abby.

"I dunno what the bleedin' hell the difference between one baby food or another, an' your bothersome pet's tagged alon' and he's lecturin' me abou' types of peas-"

"Tell him to piss off, and that Liam'll eat anything so long as he cooks it," Spencer said. "Remind him I hate limas, and don't get the kid hooked on them. More importantly - mind if I take the little bugger for a little longer?"

"Why? Where you goin'? Thought you was havin' lunch with your mum," Abby said, swatting at Brandon's hand when he reached for lima beans.

"Mum's besotted," Spencer said, smile obvious in his voice. "She wants to show him off to Dad. Scare the pants off him. Look, I know we said take this slow, but. Abs, really. I love the kid. You can come with, if you want?"

"You-You want me to meet your Dads? Like, proper?" Abby asked, feeling more than a little afraid. She paused. "Where?"

"Cottage, of course," Spencer replied. "Seb drives Mum up and pretends to go on errands while we have lunch. And of course, like proper, it's been bloody long enough. Months, for God's sake. My dads were living together in less time than we were."

"I- I don't know-"

"Oh, bloody take your brat to meet the parents. Ten to one that Mary is asking him to and if you, so help me, give her a reason to be upset-" Brandon was saying in the background.

"Abby, give Brandon the bloody phone," Spencer said. She passed the phone to him.

"Don't yell at me, I'm busy buying groceries to feed your projects," Brandon said.

"You didn't have to go along," Spencer said sweetly. "Be nice and I'll snap a pic of Dad's face when we show up and text it to you. Mum's already gone wibbly over him. Get Abby ready for a rendezvous, and for fuck's sake, put down the limas!"

"They're good for you, you don't eat proper," Brandon scolded, eyeing Abby's hair with thought. "She'll be there."

"Love you, too, Bran," Spencer said. "Give me back to Abs."

"Hey, I'm back on," Abby said, backing away from Brandon slowly. She didn't like that gleam in his eyes.

"Give me about an hour," he turned to look at his mother and child again. "Maybe hour and a half. Good lord, what are they talking about?" he strained to overhear. "I'll see you then."

"Bye," Abby said, hanging up the phone.

"And do you know what this color is?" Mary asked, pointing to the green tea pot.

"Umm," Liam said, leaning in to squint. "Dinosaur color?"

"It's green!" Mary said, nuzzling his soft hair. "Grass is green."

"Grrreen," Liam growled, then giggled. He reached up for Mary's hair. "Rwed."

"Mum?" Spencer said softly, eyes shining with fondness.

"We're talking about colors," Mary replied, smiling. She pointed at Liam's eyes. "Green."

Liam blinked his eyes, reaching for Mary's hand to hold.

"You can teach him colors, then how to shoot," Spencer said. "Of course, he's going to forget how to walk with how much we all hold him. I can count the number of times his feet have touched the floor since we got him." He paused. "Since Finch got him for us. Thank you, Mum. This was a bigger favor than I ever knew."

"Well, I would've sent you, but darling if they'd thought her a weak target she might have been hurt. They know she's a force to be reckoned with now. We made Vance a good partner for her, now we must mold Finch into being worthy of him, don't you agree?" Mary hummed, petting Liam's head.

"Mum, she's always been worthy of him," Spencer said, taking his seat. "But you're right, she's got to know she's worth it to herself. I'll get Abby in an hour or so. We'll follow you and Seb back to the cottage. But first- tell me about how Dad proposed."

"Why would you want to know something like that?" Mary asked, her voice getting tight. She pressed her lips together. "It was such a long time ago."

"Because I know how Seb did it- well, he didn't really, did he? But you and Dad were young, and Father was there, and I'm just- how did you do it? With three?" he asked, shaking his head. "How did he ask? Was there a ring? Did Father know before hand?"

"Well, John proposed first," Mary's voice cracked and she passed Liam back to Spencer. "In a pub with our friends. And Sherlock took me on a walk in the park, after an argument. There isn't much else."

"Wait, Father-?" Spencer said, tucking Liam in against his chest. He was still learning to hold the boy, but he was a clingy thing, much like his 'mother'. "That wasn't in the blog."

Mary's lips parted, and her pale skin dusted pink. "Oh, I just assumed you knew."

Spencer shook his curls. "They don't talk about it," he said. "Didn't. They were always happy together, but sometimes, there were times- you know. It was always better after your birthday. I'm just, it's been almost a year with Abby. I don't want Brandon to think there's anything less I've got with him, but well-" He winced.

"Perhaps best ask your fathers. Or even Seb and Jack. I'm wretched with these sorts of conversations," Mary replied gently, a silent plea in her eyes.

"Alright, Mum," Spencer ceded. "I just.. it's- I've got a little family now. I'm scared witless of the responsibility, but at the same time, I'm terrified of losing it."

"That's how everyone feels when they've got something to take care of," Mary said, tickling Liam in Spencer's arms. "Everyone's always scared. Can't let that stop you."

Liam giggled around the fingers in his mouth.

"Oi, little man, I thought talked about that," Spencer sighed. "Should I get him a dummy?"

"He's too old for that, don't you think? He'll stop. Won't you, darling? I'll give you something sweet if you stop licking your fingers. Are you hungry?" Mary cooed.

"Bis-ket?" Liam asked, showing little teeth.

"See, Mum, I'm utterly hopeless," Spencer laughed, leaning down to inhale the warm scent of the boy's hair. It had grown to be a mix of his, Abby's and Brandon's. Smelling much like their home. It made his heart clench in his chest. The idea of being a parent had never even crossed his mind when he asked his mother for the favor, but faced with the living, breathing thing in his arms, his heart ached with so much love and want.

***

Thaddeus bolted to work early the morning after their strange threesome. Vance had lost the usual snark and bite and had gained a profound disinterest in personal space. It made the skittish McCannady head to work early to try and clean up his well organized mess.

Walking back into the shop, he was struck with an odd sort of feeling. He hadn't been gone long at all, but faced with the realization that he might not come back made the familiar place new again. He picked up the trash and took it around back, then set about sweeping the lobby. It wasn't a glamorous job, but it was safe.

Finch had to go, she knew she had to go, but she was more than a little ... nervous. This scenario was one she'd never really planned for. She tried to sneak into her office without having to look directly at Thad.

"Afternoon," Thad said as she passed.

"Um, hi," Finch said, stopping to give an awkward wave. "Uh, yeah. Hi."

"Receipts don't go in the cash, I've got a locked drawer for that," Thad blurted out.

"Uh, noted," Finch said, continuing to edge her way towards the office. "I'm- um, just going to-"

"Right," Thaddeus said, going back to sweeping. He watched her through his hair until she was in the back. "Goddamn it," he swore at himself as he scooped up the dustbin and tossed the lot behind the counter. He hurried to the back, knocking on the office door.

"What?" Finch asked, sitting in her office chair.

Thad came in, closing the door behind him. It was cold against his back.

"I'm not gay," he said, cheeks flushed.

"You flirted with Bran easily enough. Why're you bringing that up now?" Finch asked, frowning.

"I was trying to irritate you, not snog your fiance," Thaddeus said, wrinkling his nose. "I don't snog your fiance!"

"Except the once?" Finch said sweetly, eyebrows raised.

"Oh bloody- you-" Thad said. He paced the short length of the office before turning to lean down, hand on Finch's chair, turning it to kiss her. She sputtered, unsure of what to do. She tried kissing back but she was worried she wasn't any good at it. Thaddeus tilted her head, pecking his lips against hers until her lips softened.

"There," he breathed. "I was afraid things were going to be awkward."

"They aren't? Because I'm pretty sure they are," Finch replied, reaching out to touch his chin.

"Well I was trying," Thaddeus replied. "Wait, I can't remember which is against the rules.."

"No snogging in the shop?" Finch suggested, blinking. "I don't know what rules there are anymore."

"Technically we're in the office, and I didn't bring the girl," Thaddeus said, leaning in to kiss her again. "I meant with the boyfriend."

"Is this weird? This is weird, right?" Finch kissed him back this time, nose smushing into his cheek.

"Fuckin' weird," Thaddeus agreed, breath mixing with hers. He finally pulled back after one last, toe-curling kiss. "I don't do bum play, but I guess if I dunno, you want, I could snog Scarface. 'Ee's not too bad looking when you look at him. Really rather kiss you, shag you, too." He laughed.

"I-I-I," Finch's mind blanked. "Shagging?"

"Was what we did on your sofa, right?" Thad said, brow raised. "Or was just kissin' allowed?"

Finch touched his shirt like it was the most fascinating thing. "I don't know what's allowed. I don't know what's going on. This is super weird. And the baby-"

"Is gonna have two parents no matter what," Thaddeus said. "It doesn't bother me, if it don't you. It's not like you can get pregnant more, right?"

"Oh, I should hope not. The one is tiring enough," Finch said, shaking her head. "I just, I just mean, did you have- what did you want to happen next?"

Thaddeus leaned on the desk. "No idea, really. I imagine you'll get large, erm, with the baby. Scarface will take care of business, and we'll run the shop until you go on leave. Only thing I know for certain is I'm not allowed up in your nest again unless you're dying, but it wasn't - it's better to with you, than not. Kinna felt like I didn't know what to do with m'self after you kicked me out."

"Mum's makin' me hire Abby on. Says it only gets harder from here on, with the um, y'know, the heart and everything," Finch told him, nodding at his words. "I sort of liked being here without anyone else. Like I had something that was just mine."

"Wha'm I? Chopped liver?" he asked.

"You know what I mean," Finch huffed, leaning forward to prop her elbow on the desk, hand on her chin. "Probably going to have to go on leave sooner rather than later. It's going to be dreadfully dull."

Thaddeus reached over to pet her hair. "No, it won't. It'll be far from it," he said. "And then you'll have your hands full with a tiny scarface of your own and - and I'll be here, and your brother and cousin, and little Liam'll have a little friend of his own to grow up alongside. And I think Sca-Vance meant for us to get to know each other better. Just because your relationship with 'im is marriage ready doesn't mean you and I are there yet."

"I should think not, we've hardly even kissed. I mean, I don't even like you," Finch pouted, plopping her face down on the desk. "I like you a little. Just a little."

Thad patted her head. "A little's enough right now," he said. "It's more than it was a week ago. And I got my job back. Which, by the way, I expect sick pay for the time you made me miss."

Finch looked up at him, lip curled in a sulky sneer. "No. No, that was your own fault. I'm not paying you for that."

Thad put his hand over his chest. "But I was heart-sick," he sighed theatrically. "Walkin' the night, tryin' to find a place to sleep. You owe me back for that."

"I owe you nothing! I literally gave you a place to sleep!" Finch argued, throwing her hands up in the air. "You're such a queen sometimes. You sure you're not gay?"

Thad tugged her hair back to stretch over for a kiss. He delved his tongue quick into her mouth. "Definitely," he murmured. "You'll make it up to me."

"And just how am I going to do that?" Finch teased, smiling for the first time all morning.

"By breakin' all the rules," Thaddeus smirked, kissing the edge of her smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment