Friday, January 9, 2015

Motivations

Like star-crossed siblings, Spencer and Finch had spoke little since she'd rescued Liam. The boy had taken up so much time, effort and energy, Spencer hadn't been able to do much but let his world get soaked in what Liam had done next. Missing his sister one Sunday, Spencer picked up a bunch of flowers and carried a packet of Brandon-made banana muffins.

He sadly rang the doorbell instead of letting himself in.

Thaddeus opened the door, to Spencer's scowl.

"Jus' leavin', mate," Thad said, scooting around Spencer. "Later, Finch!"

Spencer grumbled, going into the apartment.

"Sis?"

"Couch," Finch called back sleepily. The baby growing inside her took so much effort and Sundays were good days for sleeping. Especially if Vance wasn't home. "Watching telly and dozing."

Spencer smiled. He carried in the bundle of things, setting the flowers where she could see them.

"Brought you some 'Bananadon' muffins," he murmured. "Liam helped, of course."

"Oh gorgeous," Finch said with a stretch and a yawn, coming out of her little blanket cocoon. "Shall I make some tea? You're getting thin like Sherlock, I think you need some muffins, too."

"No, no, sit, sister mine," Spencer fussed. "I'd rather join you in that blanket nest you've got going on." He shimmied out of his coat and kicked off his shoes with a sigh. "Frankly I'm knackered."

Finch snickered, hair sticking up all over her head, like a gold-red halo. "Brandon keeping you up? Or is it that little boy?"

Spencer tucked his chin, wrapping his arms around his older, but smaller sister. He sat his chin in those curls. "Liam," he sighed. "Mostly. I wish it were merely Bran. Well, no I don't. I don't at all. It's just - children are so very much work."

"Try growing one," Finch complained, hugging him back as tightly. It was pleasantly and very warm under the blankets. "You know, I don't think we've done this since we were little. It's nice."

"You mean since I was little!" Spencer laughed. "You're still short. Going to explain the thing bolting out the door?"

"I don't even know. It seems they've both decided to live together for my sake. I've hardly had any word in the matter," Finch replied, pinching his side. "It's alright, though. I'm not a good cook, but Thad is, so I don't even have to worry about what to make for dinner. I make him do it."

"Live together?" Spencer continued giggling. "That was sex-guilt face if I've ever seen it. You're shagging him."

Finch blushed and she shook her head. "I mean, I haven't. Well, there was once, but um, Vance was there and I- I-I mean, I don't know why I'm telling you that! Oh, don't tell them I told you. Vance wouldn't like it."

Spence snorted. "Naughty Finch. No wonder you're up the duff," he said, patting her stomach. "Besides I'm not too thin. I just simply wind up wearing half my meals instead of eating them. Li is not very fond of my cooking. Or me in general. Loves Brandon, loves his mama. He's a people person though, a little Casanova when it comes to winning women's - oh and Dad's - hearts."

"Mum told me you took him to meet John. That's awfully brave of you. I'm glad he warmed up to him. I shall have to come 'round and have a look," Finch replied. "I'm sure he loves you. You should've seen how they kept him, it was wretched."

"Oh I can imagine," Spencer said, reaching to open the tupperware of muffins. He handed one to Finch and took another for himself. "Gaps in social expectations, fondness for being bribed, and too much telly - he fusses when we turn it off, but we're getting him used to books. You should've seen everyone. They were all in love with him. Dad picked him up and put him on his knee!"

"Did you take pictures? Next time you take pictures. You are so competitive. I can't even have the first grandchild, dammit," Finch teased, taking a bite of muffin with gusto.

"Oi! I didn't mean to," Spencer giggled. "I didn't know I was askin' Mum to go on and make me a dad, but the little bugger, he's so - infectious! I should've taken pictures, but Abby was afraid- no, no, no, intimidated. Intimidated by meeting the family. Don't worry. You'll have your little girl and everyone will go to mush. Girls are always the most spoilt."

"Puh-leeze, you are so much more spoiled than me! Mum worships you," Finch replied with a roll of her eyes. "You're her own mini-Sherlock shrine. You even saved her life. Every time she calls or comes 'round all I get are lectures and looks of disapproval."

"Disapproval? You're marrying her golden bloke," Spencer said, licking crumbs from the corner of his mouth. "Probably cause she thinks you're risking your health. Mum's getting scared. Her legs, y'know?"

"I wish there were something we could do about that," Finch whispered. She rolled a piece of banana around in her mouth. "I'm afraid, too. I don't want to be in hospital, or lose my legs. Or die."

"Mum's nearing sixty, Finch. Her own mum didn't make it out of her thirties. Medical science is leaps and bounds past where it was," Spencer said. "They can't fix Mum - again. Damage is done, but take your meds, keep up with your doctors, and no offense, don't decide to have a brood of children! You'll be fine."

"Easy for you to say. You lucked out, all you got was poisoning," Finch giggled. She toyed with the ends of her hair. "How are you feeling, by the by?"

"Stomach upsets sometimes," Spencer said. "My baby fat'll never come back, and I'll keep seeing Da in the mirror, but other than the occasional check up and shot, I've been alright. You heard the news yet?"

"About Bran, you mean? Of course, he came into the shop after he closed up and told me," Finch said, reaching for another muffin.

"Yeah," Spencer breathed, a smile on his face. "He's healthy, sis. Or will be once he gets off those drugs that are making him ill. I just- never thought I'd have a future with him. It was all-" Spencer swiped at his eyes that had begun to tear up. Finch reached over and squeezed his hand, leaning her head on his shoulder.

"I know, I'm so happy for you guys," Finch said dreamily. "I never thought Bran would settle down for anyone."

Spencer cupped Finch's cheek, pecking a kiss on her head. "He's perfect with Liam. Gets him to eat, baths him, knows stuff I haven't a clue about. And Abby, you've taken her back on and she's happier. It's like a queer little family, but I love it, I love it. Tell me you're happy, Finch."

"I'm always happy," Finch said with a smile. "I mean, how could I not be with those two getting on, and you and Bran so settled. And I'm even forgiving Abby for all those wretched things she said about Vance."

"She didn't mean them," Spencer said. "Vance takes care of you, takes care of the family. And you love him. Are you waiting until the girl is born before the wedding?"

"Yes, because I blinking well refuse to waddle down the aisle," Finch replied with a disdainful sniff. "Besides, Mum would rather the pretty dress and flowers and all that, and I'd like to make sure she has it because it would be a good memory for her. She'd enjoy it. Me, I don't even really care if we get married. I mean, I want to marry Vance, but I don't need that whole big affair with churches and vicars and things."

"Mm, Sherlock's gonna push for that. He's quite sore about Mum and Dad's wedding, and even worse about Mum and Seb's. 'Outside? For a wedding?'," Spencer mocked his father, having heard the phrase a million times. "He abhors religion, but expects a marriage done up in a church."

"But Mum and Papa weren't going to do anything traditionally," Finch laughed, remembering the look on Sherlock's face when he'd heard about the second Morstan marriage. "I'm so glad they finally did get married. Papa is more sentimental than he lets on and he was awfully soft over the whole thing."

"Your papa is much more sentimental than he lets on - mental in fact. I'm a bit jealous though, a wedding," Spencer said, taking her hand to admire the ring.

"You don't think you'll ever-" Finch let the question trail off.

Spencer shook his head. "How the hell would I pull that off?" he asked.

"I dunno. Abby and you? Although I'm sure Bran would wear a dress if you asked him," Finch replied with a shrug.

"You can't do three-way weddin's, and I don't know how Bran would feel- what he would do if I asked Abby," he said, swallowing thickly. "Or if Abby would even want to. First cousins can't marry, neither, Finch. Don't forget that little gem. I'm still trying to make sure Brandon doesn't take off while we figure out how to handle a growing boy in Baker Street."

"Ah, I had forgotten the cousins bit. I mean, he always says we're cousins, but technically we aren't blood or anything," Finch said with a frown. "Well, anyway, you'll have to be my best man because I don't have any other friends. That's something, isn't it?"

"Really?" Spencer practically squeaked. "Me?"

"Of course, who else would I ask?" Finch said, blinking.

"I dunno, Thaddeus? Mum? Aunt Free?" Spencer said. "For fuck's sake, at least let me make an arse of myself before you go throwing titles at me."

"Well, Vance is my best friend next to Bran, and I'm marrying one and I'd like the other to cater. Thad is... it's complicated, but no. Abby isn't my close friend, and Mum and Freya will be too busy crying. So it's up to you, and besides, you're much more like a friend than Mum. And Papa will be walking with me, so he can't do it either. Don't you want to? Be my friend, I mean?" Finch asked, her voice going small at the end, like she wasn't sure.

"Absolutely," Spencer said, stomach still feeling strange. He looked nervously at his hands. "If you still want me - after I ask you a favor."

"Me? What sort of favor do you want from me?" Finch wondered.

"Don't- don't take him from me," Spencer plead in an equally quiet voice. "I don't know how you feel, sister mine, but Brandon - he's going to be feeling a lot of things. I'm on my toes already, but Finch, is there any way, in any way, you would have Brandon as a lover?"

"Oh, for fuck's sake, if one more person-" Finch pushed the blankets off of her and padded towards the kitchen in search of something to drink. "No, brother, thank you for your inquiry but I'm not accepting any more applications for fuck partners. I'm full up. No room at the inn! And, even if I did, I went and got your girlfriend's child back for you at the risk of myself and my own child being shot. Brandon would be fair trade- NOT THAT I WANT HIM BECAUSE I DO NOT!"

"Finch!" Spencer said, following her. "I'm not accusin' you of taking him! I'm only afraid of what a diagnosis of life means for him! One minute you're dying, a pre-built family is fine, but healthy, young successful chef? For fuck's sake, no matter what he says, he adores you! You're not cousins!"

"That doesn't mean I want to marry him or sleep with him or have little blond curly children with him!" Finch replied, slamming the kettle down on the stovetop. "For one thing, I'm still sick! For two, I have enough complications with just the two overbearing males and one overprotective father and further more, he is in love with you. YOU!"

Spencer looked a strange blotchy color, eyes still a bit red. "Me?" he asked, still uncertain as a single tear spilled. He swiped at it quickly. "I told you, you'd be cross."

"I'm just -" Finch screwed up her face, teeth clenched, "put off that you'd think I'd even try to steal your boyfriend. I've never taken anything from you. Not even toys."

"But Bran's not a toy. He's a bloke, with feelings and free will, and he loves you. Always has. And you- love him. In your way. I just- I never felt it was my place to ask what way it was, and I'm scared, Finch, of losing him. It's been hard, lots of fights, lots of.. physical-" Spencer had to take several breaths to keep from being overwhelmed. "He's got a lot to process with the news, and shagging his cousin? I don't know if I'll still make the list."

"Yeah, well, he loves you, too, and as I've said, no intention of stealing my baby brother's boyfriend," Finch said, looking away from him, hurt that he'd even think her capable of it.

"I know I'm not really a good man, Finch. I'm selfish and jealous, and hell, I hate that you two got each other growing up. He got you, too. My sister, my blood sister," he sighed. "I'm not a good man. Do you still want me for your best one?"

"Yes, I do," Finch mumbled, cheeks turning pink.

Spencer slid his arms around her, hugging her tight. "I always miss you, y'know?" he said. "You could come see Liam sometimes. He misses his Batman lady."

"I miss you, too," Finch said, leaning her head on her brother's chest. "Beastly man, picking on a girl while she's pregnant. I'll come visit Liam. Maybe I'll bring him a treat."

"Told you, I'm awful," Spencer sighed. His hand drifted to Finch's stomach without thinking. "Oh," he gasped softly.

Finch's blush deepened, ears burning. "Um, yes. That happens. When you're um, y'know."

Spencer's face was red as he stepped away.

"Right well, I missed out on that part, what with you bringing my kid near grown. I swear he's getting mouthier every day," Spencer said, not looking at his sister. "What's it like?"

"Really, really weird and really, really uncomfortable," Finch replied, giving a nervous cough. She turned back to the hot water, pouring it into her waiting mug. "I mean, it's basically a parasite. I mean, a cute parasite, but a parasite."

"Squashing all your organs," Spencer said, looking back at her while she was turned away. "Wonder if Abby would go for another.."

"Don't you think you should slow down? You only just got the one," Finch told him, handing him a mug without looking back.

"Do not tell her I said that," Spencer said, looking mock-horrified. He smiled though. "The one is brilliant. He'll be off to nursery school soon, then primary. Besides, he calls me Pen. Pen, Finch."

"So? What's wrong with that? Pens are brilliant," Finch said, sipping at her tea. "Ink pens, penguins, pencils, lots of things have pen in it."

"Papa wouldn't be much harder," Spencer said, looking at her from under his lashes. "He feels like mine, Finch. Even though he looks nothing like me, it's just- the moment I saw him on your hip. I thought 'this is, Abby is gone' and Bran brought up that she might want me to be a parent to the boy and I- I wanted it. More than I wanted the police academy, that's for certain."

Finch looked back at him, face serious. "I believe you. Give him time, Spencer. He'll learn who you are to him."

"I wonder if this how Father felt, and Dad. When Mum brought me to them," he whispered. "It's like this tiny thing, it's a person. I can't wait for your daughter to get here. Now as best man, I must insist. Spill all your secrets about baby names!" he cackled.

***

It started behind Finch's back. Of course it did. Vance wouldn't let his growing pregnant girlfriend hear of it. Vance was worried. Was he cheating? Absolutely not. Who had time? Who had the want? With a beautiful girl waiting with a home for him? Accepting Thaddeus hadn't meant he wanted a piece on the side.

If anything Finch herself was an affair from the job. 

But the paranoia began to pick at the criminal. He couldn't prove he wasn't cheating. He couldn't prove there was no affair. There wasn't! Proving a negative was much harder than simply saying 'look here is my lover'.

Speaking of-

"I have to leave in the morning," Vance said, cornering Thaddeus one early morning. He'd gotten up early, earlier than any of them were usually up.

"Christ on a cracker, you fucker," Thad swore, jumping. "Nearly shat myself."

"Come off it," Vance hissed. "I said I'm back out again for two days. Got a thin' in Switzerland."

"Oh and it might go long, lover boy?" Thaddeus smirked, heading for the kettle.

Vance reached for Thad's long, long hair and twisted hard, pressing him against the cabinets. Thaddeus winced, eyes practically closing in pain, mouth open in a mock gasp.

"Ain't nobody else out there, here?" Vance hissed into his ear. "We done, done this. No one else."

"There's me- ain't there?" he replied viciously. "Can't keep 'er on your own. She pines like a broken thin' for your ugly fuckin' scarred face."

"Yeah, well she's got you t'look at, don't she?" Vance said. "We both do, eh?"

Thaddeus tried to squirm out of Vance's hold. "I'm here for her, you soddin' ape, leggo," he said, starting to panic a bit. Finch had been padding gently down the hall, rubbing her eyes like a sleepy child. The noise in the kitchen gave her pause, and she stopped just outside the door, listening. It was a rare that they talked without her, and she wanted to know how they interacted together. Not well, it would seem.

"You plant that idea in her head?" Vance growled, voice deep but quiet. "That I'm seeing someone else?"

"Of course not," Thaddeus replied. "I tol' her you're comin' home for her, every goddamn time."

"Liar," Vance breathed hotly into Thaddeus's ear. Thad blushed at the on-slaught. It was bringing up too much. Vance was tall behind him, body heat seeping through their clothes as he was pinned.

"What do I care if you're fucking the Queen herself or some Russian goat, ain't got any bearing on me," he panted.

Finch frowned. What Queen was Vance fucking? That filthy liar!

"We 'aven't got a queen, you idiot," Vance said, pushing away from Thaddeus.

"Wot, really?" Thad asked, rubbing at his head.

"Are you really that dense?"

Finch's lower lip wobbled, and her breath caught in her chest. Well, if Vance was going to go 'round fucking goats and Queens...

Thaddeus shrugged his shoulders. "Like I said, don't care who you're shagging. Jus' don't ask me to go bumming for you."

Vance raised an eyebrow. "Really. Is that why you're dartin' out of here every morning?"

"I do not," Thaddeus said, affecting a posh accent.

"You're running from me, not tryingta push me out so you kin have her all for yourself?" Vance said, advancing on the shorter bloke again.

"She's swolle up with your brat," he replied. "Nu-huh! Your job to do the raising of brats and marriage and - "

"Except you'll be the one here," Vance said, amused.

Finch's stomach grumbled hungrily and she couldn't help but sniff, holding back indignant tears. She leaned against the wall, sulking.

"And I won't be. Not nearly enough," Vance said, voice going hushed - upset. "Smy daughter, mate."

Thad put down the tea bag. "Oh for fuck's- you'll be here."

"What if I'm not? What if she goes into labor or I miss my girl's first steps or -"

"You'll be out there keeping her safe," Thad scowled. "And if not..."

He looked at the 'hardened criminal'. He'd demonized Vance in his mind. Vance was younger than Thad realized. Younger than himself anyway. He let out a shuddering breath.

"And if not, then well, you've got a second to send out for legwork, yeah?"

Finch's brow furrowed, and she turned her head back towards the kitchen. What?

"You're joking," Vance said, mouth dropping.

"Blah, blah, Swiss bankers - Bruno Fouty and Eva Roethlisberger - sign the documents, schmooze at their party, turn down the illegal caviar, and smoke the Cuban cigar. I know the drills, Moriarty, I just chose not to play the game," Thad said, face curiously blank.

"And you'd just go- like that?" Vance asked, suspicious.

Finch's heart gave a funny beat. She blinked rapidly, even as she wondered who the bleeding hell was going to run her shop without Thad.

"Well of course not that," Thad said derisively. "Third trimester, when the thing begins to form memories and the like, first day of school.."

Vance brows grew higher and higher.

"Not your bloody wedding, you work that one out. Ain't going to that."

The red-gold haired woman bounced from one foot to the other. She risked a glance around the edge of the wall, watching the two men together.

Vance reached out, this time to pull Thaddeus into a hug.

"Oi, oi, wha-"

"Shutup," Vance said, arms wrapped tightly around his.. friend?

Thaddeus scowled, and gave Vance an annoyed pat on the back. When the hug didn't seem to be ending, he forced himself to relax and wrapped his arms around the guy. "Alright, alright, love you too, Scarface," he mumbled.

Finch grinned, biting her lip, not wanting to interrupt the sweet moment.

Vance let him go after several pats on the back.

"You stay for breakfast."

"I've got things to-"

"You stay for breakfast," Vance repeated more firmly.

"Oh, is there breakfast?" Finch asked, leaning out further.

Vance and Thaddeus seemed to leap further apart.

"There will be," Vance said. "What's your poison?"

"Pancakes. With apples," Finch said with a nod. She took a step into the kitchen. "That is, if you're not too busy shagging the Queen."

"Oi, the only Queen's your cousin, and I won't touch his arse with a ten foot pole," Vance huffed. "Tell him to stay out of my kitchen."

"Your kitchen? Your pancakes are shite, fix the apples while I do up the pancakes," Thad responded. "The goat however is going to be very put out. Meeehhh," he bleated as Vance hit him in the arm.

Finch giggled, sliding up onto one of the stools at the kitchen island. She leaned her chin on her hand, watching them work. "Mmm goat cheese."

Vance turned around to lean over the island giving her a kiss. He winked. "So my little bird? When did you turn into a little mouse?"

"I'm not a mouse! Just because I like cheese," Finch said, sulking. She reached up to touch his face, stroking gently over his scar. Vance tilted his chin down, looking at her from beneath his lashes.

"Ah, then you admit, little bird, you're dropping eaves," he said slyly.

"Excuse you, I would not stoop to something so petty," Finch lied, pulling him in for another kiss. "If I wanted to know something, I would ask you."

"Alright, alright, stop snogging in the kitchen," Thaddeus said.

"Aw, darlin', he's jealous," Vance said, rushing over to peck Thaddeus on the cheek.

"Oi! Boss! Make 'im stop! Assault! Harassment! I can't work under these conditions!"

"You're not my problem when you're not at work," Finch said, hearing the door open and close.

"Baby slut!" Brandon called out, strolling in like he owned the place. He pressed a kiss to Finch's forehead.

Vance had the knife he was slicing the apples with in his hand. "Excuse you," he said, going quite cold.

"Oh, that's what he always calls me. It's a joke," Finch said with an unimpressed look on her face and a wave of her hand.

"Mmm, yes, a terrible mean joke," Brandon said, leaning too close to her, plucking at the tight sweatshirt she was wearing. "I'm going to visit your mum today. You want me to take her anything? You, perhaps?"

"No, thanks. I've got enough going on here, and she's coming by Friday, anyhow," Finch sighed.

"Which I will be back for," Vance added. "I'm supposed to bring her those papers to look over."

"Stop bothering her with work," Bran complained, leaning his head on Finch's shoulder. "We're going shopping for you tomorrow. Your mum's orders per a phone conversation. You might want to remove the camera over the cooker."

"What?!" Finch shrieked, looking up.

"Yeah, she said you're gettin' podgy," Bran told her.

"She is not," Vance seethed. Thaddeus laid his hand over Vance's where his knuckles were nearly while on the knife. Thad took over cutting the apples and putting them in the pan to cook. He could practically hear Scarface's teeth grinding.

"Shouldn't you be at home at this hour?" Vance said, looking pointedly at Finch.

"Wha' for? He's busy pampering the baby prince and Abby's asleep so I can't be loud," Bran sulked. Finch was trying to decipher the look on Vance's face when Bran patted her on the head. "Don't think so loud, you'll bust a vessel. Anyway, I'm going to go. Ah, ah, wait, I remembered what I wanted."

"A map to the door?" Vance snarked.

"What did you need?" Finch asked. Bran pouted up at her.

"Well, you know how you bought the building for your shop and the cafe," Bran asked. "Which includes the flats above the shop? I just thought-"

"No! I'm not letting you chicken out and move away from Spencer. No. Get away, be gone with you," Finch snapped. Bran laughed and leaned in to kiss her cheek.

"Alright, alright, fine. See you tomorrow for shopping extravaganza, baby slut!" Brandon said, hitting the 't' just for Vance's sake. He sauntered towards the door.

Vance's palms hit the counter hard as he went around to fluff Finch's hair, petting her down as if to wipe away the touch of her 'cousin'.

Thad hadn't turned around.

"I think that's probably getting a bit brown," Vance offered.

"Right," Thaddeus said, flipping the first pancake.

"I don't know why you don't get on with him. He's ever so sweet," Finch said, letting Vance clean her like a dirty pet.

"Cameras are for my benefit. He touches you.. entirely too much. He ought to be at home with your brother," Vance said.

"Or apparently looking at flats. Above your shops," Thaddeus said.

"Oh, I'd quite forgotten about those," Finch said, trying to look innocent. She shrugged. "I think they're rented. I'm sure I'm supposed to be getting checks or something, I don't know, I've hardly bothered."

Thaddeus walked out of the kitchen (after removing the skillet from the hot burner). Vance heard the bedroom door slam.

"Oh, I see," he hummed. "That's what Brandon wanted."

"What?" Finch asked, confused. "He was alright a moment ago, what's happened to him?"

"Darling bird, do you trust me?" Vance said, cupping her cheeks.

"Of course I do," Finch breathed, looking up at him with a raw worship sort of look in her eyes.

"Go after him. Tell him you meant for him to come live with us. Tell him. Use the word us," he said, stroking her cheek. "Tell him you let him attempt to manipulate you, but you were simply getting your way."

Finch blushed and looked ready to grumble at him. Vance kissed her head, her nose, then her lips.

"Go. I'll finish breakfast," he said. "I can manage to flip a pancake."

Finch sighed, but she slipped off the stool and padded into the other room, opening the door Thad had taken such great pleasure in slamming. "Drama queen."

Thad was shoving things into a backpack. "Am not," he grumbled. "Do you know how many nights I killed my back on that sofa?"

"What are you doing?" Finch asked, watching his movements with curiosity. She blinked. "You're leaving? You only just got here."

"For what? To work for you? For your Mum? For bloody Moriarty? If there are flats, then there are flats I can rent," he said.

"So it wasn't true. When you said," Finch felt her heart seize up in her chest. The tears that had threatened her earlier were back, pricking painfully at the back of her eyes, "Y'know, that you l-loved me. It wasn't true."

"Of course it's fucking true," Thaddeus said, tossing a pair of his underwear across the room. "But why this?! Why make me suffer for it?! I could've rented the flat upstairs! What? Why!"

Finch flinched from him, ducking her chin. She turned away, rubbing her hands over her arms. Thad crossed the room, taking her by her arms.

"Answer me," he demanded. "You could've had your normal life. You can't have simply forgotten flats. Oh yeah, they're rented - bullshit!"

"Y-You-" Finch was shaking, and she hiccuped in a breath. She didn't want to say it, but Vance had asked her to. "You would've never come back."

"I'd've been at work. I haven't missed a day, unless you've kicked me out," Thad said, missing the point.

"Well, you deserved it," Finch said, tears spilling down. She gave another hiccup-cough. "You were so cruel and you made me all mixed up inside. And- and you didn't mean it b-b-because you would've left and n-never come home-"

"Home?" Thaddeus said, his own eyes welling up as he pulled Finch to him.

"I-I-I don't know what you want me to say," Finch cried into his shirt.

"Am I home?" Thad asked. "Is this what you wanted?"

Finch couldn't tell him the whole truth, and she didn't want to lie. But, but if it was just a partial truth... "I think so. I-I think I wanted you here all along."

Thaddeus hugged her tighter. "I know he's your family, but tell him to bloody use the bell," he sniffed. "Ruint our breakfast."

"I'll take his key away," Finch sighed, wondering why everyone was always so up in arms about Bran. She smoothed her fingers over Thad's chest, unfamiliar with his body even though she saw him every day. She continued to sniff. "I'm still hungry."

"Oh hell, you left him with the food," Thad said, kissing her head. "I'll- I'll clean this up later." He gestured towards the room with things strewn everywhere. It was amazing how quickly he'd managed to amass things once he'd kipped down.

"What? He can cook! He makes me eggs!" Finch protested, rubbing her belly, shirt riding up a little. "At least Bran wants to go shopping. He always knows just what to buy, and I'm wretched at it."

"Vance can make eggs, and that's about it," Thad huffed. "An' you've never asked me to go shopping. I might be brilliant at it. You've never let me try." He tossed his nose in the air, holding Finch's hand. "Besides, your little belly is cute." He ran his fingertips across her exposed skin. "There's a baby in there."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, all you skinny blokes keep saying that. Meanwhile, I'm the one who is edging towards whale," Finch complained, scowling at him. "I'd skip breakfast but y'know, feed the parasite and all."

"Snot a whale. Think of it more like.. I dunno, a baby pouch," Thad offered.

"All made up?" Vance asked, setting out three plates, one of which hosted Thad's over-brown pancake along with two other normal ones.

"She manipulated me," Thaddeus sniffed.

"We manipulated you," Finch muttered dutifully, squinting a smile out at Vance.

"Quite right," Vance said. "Now, breakfast. I'll get your meds and vitamins, too."

"Buzzkill," Thad snorted. "We could've just shagged instead."

"Contrary to popular belief, one cannot live on shagging alone," Vance said, reaching up into the cabinet for glasses.

"It would be nice if you could. I've got so much to catch up on," Finch said, drawing little lines on the work top with her finger. "And now I'm going to be someone's mother- no more throwing me up on the island and shagging me senseless-"

"You've got a brother who is quite capable of babysitting. He'll be an old hat at it by the time she's here," Vance said, pouring her milk. "His wee adoptee will love the company. And we'll shag - everywhere. After breakfast."

Finch brightened at the promise and dug into her pancakes with a happy hum. "Food for the baby, sex for the mummy. I like it."

"Maybe I should stick around," Thaddeus hummed.

"Maybe, you never know what happens around here," Vance said, taking a bite of his own food. "Course I do. The flat's riddled with cameras."

Thaddeus choked.

Vance just gave him a sly smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment