Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Banana Muffins

Brandon pounded on the door to Finch's flat with several packages in hand. And the big thing propped against the stairs behind him, but he could manage. "Baby slut! Baby slut, open the door!"

Thad sleepily opened the door. His dark hair was mussed and his clothes wrinkled.

"Oi, keep it down," he muttered, one hand to the side of his head. "You know how often she gets a kip?"

Brandon hissed. "Ew, what are you doing here? She actually let you back in?"

"Watching after the little bird," Thad smirked, tilting his hips with smugness. "What the hell do you want?"

"Go wake her up, she's got a job to do," Brandon said, shouldering his way past the interloper. He settled the bags on the kitchen island before going back for the thing out front. Hefting the wheelchair over his shoulder, he carried it into the kitchen. "Besides, I want to see the look on your face when she finds you here."

"What sort of- oi!" Thad said, swiping at his eye. He scowled, but did as he was bid. He'd checked in on her earlier, but she'd been sleeping. He tiptoed up the short ladder to the loft. It smelled overwhelmingly like her and him.

"Baby bird," he cooed at her. "The White Demon comes to ruin your sleep."

"Wh-Va- What the hell?" Finch mumbled turning to squint at him. "What are you doing here? Ew, ew, go out, get out, how did you get in?"

"Key, love," Thad said, squirming into the loft a bit more. "Wake up. Your brat of a cousin is here for a job he claims. Make him go away."

"How did you get a key?" Finch asked, pulling the sheet up over her head. Then, after a moment's consideration, she lowered the blanket. "Wait, Bran's here?"

"Yes, the White Demon of the Dark Prince's kingdom," Thad cackled, then let his face fall solemn. "Deal with the alcoholic stain or I will."

"You will not. You're not invited, go away," Finch snapped, pushing out of the loft, tugging the sheet tight around her. "Bran is allowed in whenever he likes. He's my friend." She stalked down the hall, trying not to trip over her blanket. She grimaced, a gentle queasiness rolling in her stomach. Bran bent to kiss her cheek chastely when she got to the kitchen. "And you? What are you doing here?"

"Hmm, project for you," Brandon replied, unpacking the foods he'd brought with him. "I guess project for me, too." He took the lid off a container of homemade banana muffins, kettle already boiling away for tea.

"But you're meant to be at the- are those banana?" Finch asked, eyes going wide. Brandon grinned back at her.

"Yeah, I thought you might remember," he teased, ruffling her messy hair.

Thad licked his lips at the yummy smell. He nicked one out of the container. "Remember wha'?" he said around a mouthful.

Finch had a muffin in her hand, too, perched on one of the kitchen stools. "When I was little, I go' sick at Bran's house. An' his mum wasn't there, and my mum was never there, and his dad was never there. An' the only thing to eat was boxed bran- ha, Bran- muffins. So he tried to make 'em taste better and he put in bananas."

Brandon smiled, pouring hot water into mugs. "Settled her stomach. After that, if she was ever sick, I'd make her muffins. Figured if she hasn't been keeping anything down, at least I could give those a shot."

"Mmm," Finch hummed.

Thad scowled. The delicious muffin going to ash in his mouth. "Well, at least it's moderately healthy and not ice cream and pickles," he muttered.

"Can I have another?" Finch asked, sipping her tea with wide eyes. Brandon gave her a large, over-friendly smile.

"'Course, I brought them for you," he replied. He handed her another muffin without question. He knew from her mother and her brother that morning sickness had hit her hard, and it should really have been called 'day sickness'. "So, about this wheelchair."

"Yeah, I was wondering what that was for," Finch said around a mouthful of crumbs.

Brandon flung his hair back out of his eyes, posturing a little. Like a pleased peacock. "Well, I heard from my mum that your mum is being very sulky and not speaking to anyone and refusing to get out of bed. My mum thinks it's because her leg is finally gone useless, so I thought, perhaps, if I asked very nicely, you would please tattoo some roses all over this chair and we could drive it up and ask your mum to stop being such a bitch to the other parents."

Thaddeus angrily picked at his muffin. He hated that it was delicious.

"Paint wouldn't be good for her right now," he grumbled. "But I guess if you're gonna be busy, I can move the rest of my stuff back across the way."

"Paint wouldn't be good for me but tattooing strangers is," Finch muttered. She put her mug down. "You are not moving back in here!"

"Would you like me to move in?" Brandon purred, leaning close to her.

Thaddeus growled, prowling between the two of them. He bared his teeth. "Piss off. Ink fumes ain't the same as paint," he said, eyes locked with Brandon's. He had done so well with the pacifism, but he wanted to sock the 'cousin' in the face a few good dozen times. "She's got a wee thing in her, in case you weren't aware."

"I'm so very aware," Brandon said, whining up at Finch. She giggled and pet his hair.

"Certain paints don't have much fumes. I'll wear a mask. Anything to get mum out of bed," Finch said with a smile.

"Yeah, I've heard she's been a right bitch. You feelin' okay? I don't want to put you both at risk," Brandon said, leaning into her pettings.

"I'm fine. Let's do it." Finch hopped down off the stool, snagging a third muffin for herself. "I'll go grab my things. Put it in the living room for me?"

"Will do, dearest," Brandon sang, watching her saunter down the hallway.

Thad finally burst and knocked the tall idiot into a cabinet. "Don't touch her," he hissed.

"Piss off, mate, she's family," Brandon snarled in a harsh whisper. "And, by the by, she touched me. Not the other way around." He shoved back at Thaddeus. Thaddeus swung him around, pulling his arm sharply up his back.

"No, your family's somewhere else," Thaddeus replied. "You hauled her right back into your little prince's arms. This one's mine." He shoved Brandon towards the den, sneering.

"Bran?" Finch asked, looking concerned at Thad's rough treatment. She hadn't gotten dressed, just dragged a large tote of paints out into the living room. "Everything alright?"

Brandon smiled for her, and despite Thad's warning he leaned down to kiss her forehead. "Yeah, yeah, just some stupid meathead pushin' me about. You're my best friend, Finch, you going to let him treat me like that?"

"He started it," Thad said, gesturing pitifully. "Drunk jerk."

Finch gripped Brandon's strong chin in her little artist's hand, turning his head from side to side. "No, you've been clean. At least... sixteen hours?"

"Seventeen," Brandon said, and this time his grin was wobbly. "But you know me, I don't party if I have to see my mum."

Finch nodded, approvingly. "You didn't drink at work?"

"Cross my heart and hope to die. I'd never disappoint you," he teased, all too real a truth. Brandon flopped down onto the sofa, sprawling. "C'mon, then, artist girl. Pimp that wheelchair so I can take you up to see your mum. I even bought off-road wheels in case she tries to use the excuse that in a chair she can't go outside."

"I'm opening a window, at least," Thad said, heading to do that. "And put on a mask!" He went on to mutter. "Moriarty reduced to a rose-covered wheel chair. She'll think she's in hell."

Finch looked at Brandon with unspoken questions in her eyes. He shook his head.

"Don't listen to an outsider, baby slut. He don't know us like I know us," Brandon said with a smirk. Finch nodded seriously. This was one of the most important things she'd have to do, and she was going to do it right. She went into the kitchen for a cup of clean water and some paper towels.

"Her mother changed the world," Thaddeus said, looking out the window. "War is breaking out."

"Yeah, had a feeling," Brandon shrugged with a faux carefree air about him. "She can't be Moriarty forever. Not with only one working leg, and that one goin' downhill, too."

"A damn shame," Thad said. "No offense to Scarface. But he's not your mother. He's missing the bigger picture. And your little prince is getting himself into trouble as I hear it. Dungeons now?"

Brandon flushed, but he continued to pretend he was un-phased. "I wouldn't know. I don't ask Spencer about his work."

"Probably for the best," Finch agreed, coming back into the room to set up. Happily unaware of Thad's remarks about Mary. "He's gettin' weird. You safe over there? You can always come here, if you need."

"Yeah, and where you going to put me with two boyfriends and a baby on the way," Brandon asked her, chuckling. "No room at the inn."

"There's always the barn," Thaddeus snorted. "But it's best he take his donkey and ride on back home."

"Or you could leave. Hey, he is not my boyfriend!" Finch said, finally catching on to what Brandon had implied. "Nope, not at all. Stop being weird, both of you. I have to work."

Thaddeus rolled his eyes. "Alright, doveling," he said, moving to grasp Bran's arm. "You can come help me move my shite."

"Ugh, bitch, I just got here," Brandon sighed, but he pushed himself up. "We'll be back."

"Go, go, I'm fine!" Finch said, already focused on designing the chair. Thad let his eye linger on her as they headed for the door. He had a happy smile on his face, until he pushed Thad outside.

"Where's your car?" he asked.

"'Round the block," Brandon said, pulling the keys from his pocket.

"The boyfriend asked me to stay," Thad said. "Watch her, and watch out for her. She's still a bloody target. Even if she doesn't know it."

"Wait, the boyfriend asked you?" Brandon hissed out a breath, inwardly cringing. "Damn, he could've asked me. I'm nearly as good a shot as she is."

Thad pulled the gun from the small of his back. "Want to try me?" he asked. "You brats were trained to take care of yourselves. I was taught to take over."

Brandon shrugged, entirely unimpressed. "Are we going to get your things? You're wasting time, if you're meant to stick with her."

Thad thumbed the safety back on, the gun disappearing on his thin form. They headed for the car. "How's Abs?"

"Just peachy," Brandon sneered, shoving his hands in his pockets to hide the shaking. He couldn't have hit the broad side of a building with his body wrecked as it was. "Maybe needs a new job. She just kind of hangs around."

"Fuck off," Thad said. "Give me your keys. You're worse off now than if you were driving drunk."

"Hey, I got here, didn't I?" Brandon asked, but he passed Thad his keys. "You'll drive to the cabin. That's an hour off."

"I know where it is," Thad said, opening the door. "Shop first. She'll probably be done by the time we get back. Also sober hours don't count if you're sleeping during them."

"Who said anythin' about sleepin'?" Brandon replied lazily, grinning.

Thad reached across the seat to thump Brandon on the ear as they headed down the street. "I don't want to know what shite you get up to at that old house," he snorted. "Your boyfriend's a freak."

"You don't call him that," Brandon snarled, his eyes flashing. He hit Thad back on the head, equally as hard. "You don't call him anything other than Spencer if you like your testicles attached. Get this, arsehole, if you want in, you don't just get to choose one side. We're all a family, and we all stick together, and fuck anyone that tries to break us up."

Thad's head hurt, but he was grinning.

"There it is," he laughed, voice full of mirth. "The Ice King feels."

"Oh fuck off," Brandon sulked, slouching down in his seat, staring out the window. He reached for some sunglasses on the dash, slipping them on. "God, can't you even drive? Ugh."

Thad shifted the car in gear and took off, flying down the London streets. It was a nice car.

***

Thad carried his duffle and a few other bags and things. It really wasn't much. His life was down to a mere four bags full.

"Bout done, princess?" he called out, carrying his stuff towards the master.

"I'm not a princess!" Finch replied, using a blow dryer to dry the spray sealant she'd put over the paint. It was made to last, that was for sure. Her hair was damp. She'd taken a shower, which was awful since Vance wasn't there and now she didn't smell like him anymore. She'd used some of his soap just to make her feel better, dressing in jeans and a tee shirt from the shop. The waistband of her jeans was cutting into her tummy a little, but at least she had on clean clothes. "I think it's finished. Be careful when you two put it in the car, I don't want it chipping before she even gets to see it."

"Yes, m'lady," Thad chuckled. His breath caught just a bit. He hadn't noticed the slow changes of her body in her usual clothes. The jackets, cardigans, all sort of hid her. Goosebumps ran down his arms. "A work of art," he said, voice gone husky. "As usual, Finch."

"You alright? You've gone all funny 'round the eyes," Finch asked, her mouth turning down in a frown. Brandon giggled.

"He's stunned by the beautiful fair maiden he sees before him," Bran snarked, carefully folding up the chair. "Go on, get your sweater and we'll go on our merry way."

Thad scowled. "Be any more subtle? For fuck's sake," he growled. "Least your boyfriend wants you."

"I don't even want to know," Finch sighed, shaking her head. She gathered up her purse and her jacket and her keys, wondering if she'd forgotten anything. "I'm all set. Is Bran driving?"

"That beauty? Hell no," Thaddeus purred. "A good hour drive outside the city? I'm taking it for a spin. Carefully, of course. I'm just thrilled you've finally kept something down." He sent a grateful look to Brandon. "You did, right?"

"Oh, yeah, strangely I don't feel as sick anymore," Finch said, and then she blushed. Brandon read her features with a smile.

"I'll pack them into the car for you, baby," he promised. Her cheeks turned redder.

"I'll just get a bottle of water from the fridge," she said, heading for the kitchen.

"Don't," Thad said, eyes going dark again. "Don't infect her with your bullshit. Friends, family, fine. Get the chair in the car." He padded after Finch.

Brandon sneered, a cold feeling settling in his stomach. He wouldn't. He'd never 'infect' Finch. But it didn't stop the tugging feeling that he would've liked the chance- before all the- Bran shook his head, hair flopping over his eye. Didn't matter now. What mattered was that her mother was giving up, and Bran just wouldn't let that happen.

***

Mary curled up in bed. Well, curled was probably the wrong word. Part of her was curled. Another part, a betraying leg, was limp and long, where it had been the last few days. Her face was buried in her pillow. She wanted to suffocate, to end the pain, but even Jim had been silent since she'd stopped being 'Moriarty' and now she really felt all alone. Unable to move. Trapped. Depressed. Sullen. And not wanting to talk to the others, lest she pass along the sadness like a disease.

Freya pushed open the door just enough to slip in. Her bare feet stuck out beneath her tunic and leggings. She crawled up Mary and Sebastian's bed, curling around Mary's back to kiss the nape of her neck. She smelled the most like natural Mary there.

"Hello, darlin'," she murmured.

"Free," Mary croaked into the pillow, her words muffled.

"Your babies are here," Freya said softly, stroking Mary's hair.

"Too tired. Make them go away," Mary sighed, shivering as Freya petted her like a cat.

"They brought a present," Freya whispered. "And Finch is looking all round, lovey."

"They aren't babies anymore," Mary complained. She closed her eyes. "I'm tired."

Freya kissed her again, sighing. She hugged Mary for a bit, then got up.

She headed back into the living room. "She's not feeling up to it, loves," she said.

"The hell she's not," Brandon muttered, scampering past his mother into the bedroom. "Hello, Mare-mare. Good, you're already somewhat clothed."

Mary looked up, brow wrinkling. "But I've already said-"

"I know, I know, go away. Luckily for you, I don't care," Brandon said, bending to pick her up. He hefted her into his arms. "Naughty mum, not eating. You're light as a feather. Bad girl."

"Brandon, I don't-" Mary tried to protest as he hauled her out into the sitting room.

"Bran, be careful with her, love," Freya said, hands outstretched.

"Don't coddle her," Thad huffed. "She'll get bedsores at this rate."

"She's not breakable," Brandon sniffed, settling Mary into her new chair while Finch stood by watching, wringing her hands. "You're a solid old bird. Now look, we've made you this lovely-"

"Get me out, get me out, I don't want to be-" Mary started to protest but Brandon cut her off with a look, kneeling down in front of her.

"I know, I know, it'd be lovely if handsome young men like me could just carry you everywhere, but unfortunately, you can't afford my salary," he teased gently, straightening her shirt. "And between you and me, these old boys just don't have it in them anymore. So, you have to be a good boss and just suck it up and be independent. Look, it's pretty, see? And you don't have to rely on them anymore."

"Pretty sure she made your salary with that Holmes bloke," Thaddeus snorted.

"Awful children," Freya sniffed. "It's badass, Mare. Much better than that awful thing before."

"I made it for you, Mum," Finch whispered, giving her mother big, sad eyes. "Don't you like it?"

Mary looked like she was about to have a panic attack, but Brandon reached out to take her hand. He squeezed it. "C'mon, cut her a break and tell her you like it."

"She worked hard on it all afternoon," Thad added. "Baby bump an' all."

Freya went over to hug Finch, touching her tummy gently. "Bless," she said, cuddling her 'step-daughter'.

Finch blushed, her awkwardness growing. "Help! They're touching me."

Brandon snorted, his eyes never leaving Mary. "You're alright. You're going to be just sunny, aren't you?"

After a moment of hyperventilating through her nose, she managed to give him a lofty stare, looking down her nose at him. "I'm not a frightened animal. No need to patronize me, Brandon."

His grin widened, the battle won. "Yeah, yeah, yeah. Anyone up for lunch? I brought things to cook. That's not a baby bump, she's had half a dozen muffins today."

Freya giggled, leaning over to peck Finch on the cheek. "You look lovely, baby girl. Doesn't she, Mary?"

"Hush, hush, old bird, I need to pick the matriarch's brain while I've got her," Thad said, walking over to Mary. "Too many people, and for fuck's sake, how often can I get an audience?"

"Hmm, sounds like business. I'm retired," Mary said, giving her head a shake, like a voice was whispering to her that she hadn't heard for ages. Still, she swallowed, and nodded at Bran. "Take your mother and Finchlette into the kitchen for lunch. I'm sure you'll find some of the others to feed, too, won't you? I'm worried about John."

"Ah, worrying too much about his detective and not enough about him? I'll find him," Bran promised, pulling Finch free of his mother's grip, knowing the older lady would follow them. "When I come back I'll tell you all about how Spencer managed to bribe his way into Mad Mary's."

"Yes, your son," Thad said. "Dangerous waters he's treading. But no, not business.. a bit more personal than that."

Mary drummed her fingers on the arm of the chair. She had to admit, it did feel a little like a throne. "Personal? What could you possibly have to ask me that's personal?"

Thaddeus knelt down, placing his head lower than Mary's. "Your daughter," he said, clearing his throat. He checked to make sure the room had cleared. "I.. care, for her. I wager you don't champion a rival to your handpicked protege."

"I do not," Mary agreed, keeping her features passive. "Especially not one who comes from an enemy family. Heir to an enemy family, whose very existence jeopardizes everything I've worked so hard for."

"Even one who has stepped down, and is willing to pledge to another family?" Thaddeus asked, picking at his fingers. "For love?"

Mary angled her chin up. "It's not my choice. If she were to pick you, it would be up to her. I don't see why you're even having this conversation with me."

Thaddeus laughed. "She'll never pick me, m'um. That doesn't mean I can't still choose a different path," he said. "Who is going to pick some interloper, some outsider when she's carrying the chosen one's babe? My family raised me to curse your name. I found myself rather admiring your work. And now? I admire your family very much."

Mary unfortunately did love a stray or two. She shrugged. "What are you asking of me?"

"Understanding, maybe?" he asked. His dark eyes looked up at the woman. "I swear I'll protect her with everything I am. Even if she curses me with her last breath."

"I've heard that before. From someone equally as serious," Mary replied, trying to look unimpressed. "I understand better than anyone what it takes to look after her. You'll fail. But I believe you'll try very hard."

"I will at that," Thaddeus said. "Your daughter is much loved. Much, much loved. I imagine she inherited it from someone much loved as well." He picked up one of Mary's hands, placing a soft kiss on the still strong hand.

"Hmm, yes, I s'pose we're all very fond of Sebastian," Mary said stubbornly. Her brows knit together. "I wonder where they all got to."

"Food. I believe Brandon is attempting to seduce her with it again," he said, standing.

"He'll never give up," Mary sighed, having meant her other lovers. "He's had the worst crush on her ever since he was a baby. Even if he'll never admit it." She wheeled herself into the kitchen, letting Thad follow.

"Love doesn't mean sex," Thaddeus murmured to her. It will continue to break away at them. He went over to mooch food off Finch. "You never feed me up," he whined.

"You're a parasite," Finch sighed, tugging her plate away. "Besides, I need the food. I haven't eaten properly for weeks, and now I'm starved."

"I remember those days," Mary said, nodding. "It's only going to get worse. Just wait until you want sex as much as you want food."

"Who says I don't now?" Finch wondered.

"Because I'm woefully under shagged," Thaddeus cackled, nicking food off Freya's, who smacked him.

"Oi, brat. I'll rip your fingers off and feed 'em to you, swear on m'kid," she spat out.

"Please do, Mummy, he hit me," Brandon whined, winking at her. Mary giggled.

"You probably liked it," she murmured. Brandon cackled.

"Nah, only when Spencer does it," he teased. Finch made pretend gagging noises.

"You behave too, or I'll spank your arse too. You won't like it," Freya said, getting up from the table. "Come here, poppet. Hug your Mummy."

Brandon reached out his arms for his mother, resting his chin on her tiny head. "Hello, Mummerz. See? Told you I'd fix it."

"I know, darling. You're the best thing I've ever done," she said into his chest. "Are you feeling alright? You're looking a bit peaky."

"I'm doing fine. Taking my meds, goin' to stupid therapy," Brandon replied dutifully, cutting Mary off with a glance. So he'd missed one meeting, Mum didn't need to know that, even if Mary did. "Makin' trouble."

"My baby," she said, hugging him tighter. "Don't let Spencer mess about either. If the girl stands in your way, don't you dare think yourself less. I know those sort of thoughts," she said softly, reaching up to cup his cheek. She'd had those self deprecating thoughts about Mary for ages. She had imagined herself only a friend.

"Ew, Mum, don't get all squishy. Go, go pet Finch," Brandon sniffed, pretending to be too cool for her. He scrunched his nose. "She's going to get all fat if she keeps eating-"

Finch pelted him with a roll.

"Oi, starving kids in Africa. Don't waste food," Freya barked, heading over to Mary. She perched in a chair next to her, leaning over the arm of the wheelchair to wrap her arms around her lover instead of Finch. She leaned in to kiss Mary on the lips, a rare show of PDA for them. "You look lovely, darlin'," she said with a watery smile. "I don't know why we never made your chair a beautiful thing."

"Well, to be fair, I didn't think I'd be in it that long," Mary replied, patting her friend's arm. The first time around, she'd felt like she was dying. The second time around wasn't feeling much different. "This one is definitely better, though."

"Mary? I thought I heard-?" Seb said. "Oh! Finch, Brandon."

"And your interloper," Mary said. Her expression turned bashful when she looked at him. Almost shy. Like she was waiting for his opinion. "The children decided to bring me a gift."

"Oh," Seb said, gruff voice going soft. He moved to lean down, shooing Freya away from his wife. "Lovely," he said, kissing her softly. "Does this mean I'll see you outside of bed now?"

"Maybe sometimes," Mary said, rubbing her nose against his. She blushed prettily, ducking her chin. "It's not as wretched as the last one."

"I'm sorry, I made a terrible chair," Seb teased. "I'm not as young as I used to be! You'll just have to rope one of those strapping young things to carry you about."

"You know what I meant," Mary scolded, patting his cheek. "Look, Finch is here. And she's not throwing up for once."

"Hello, Papa," Finch said, pretending she hadn't been eating a sandwich.

"Hello, love," Seb said, moving about to give his daughter a hug too. "You look better. Everything alright?" He gave a sidelong glance at Thad.

"I'm going to murder my boyfriend for giving him his key back," Finch said, but she shrugged. "Otherwise, nothing new."

"I could've nicked it!" Thaddeus whined.

"But you didn't. Vance is being smart, Finch. At least it wasn't a nurse," Seb said, petting her head.

"Not having this discussion with you all today in front of an audience, but I will add that I would, for once, just like to be trusted to look after something on my own. I don't need a babysitter," Finch said, her eyebrows going up. She tugged her shirt down a little more. "I'm perfectly capable."

"I'm not a babysitter. I'm homeless," Thad said, perched over a plate of food. "Besides, free rent, and you pay me anyway. You'd be wretched without my excellent reception skills."

"No, I'd just hire someone with actual receptionist experience," Finch sniped under her breath. "Not someone who just can't seem to take no for an answer."

"It's almost sweet when you think of how I used to talk to Jack in exactly the same way," Mary said to Seb, a meanish glint in her eye. Finch sputtered.

"Mum, you didn't," Finch said.

"Oh she did," Sebastian chuckled, a wicked grin on his face. "He finally started turning a worth while profit once he stopped the back room card games and opened the bar. Well, the card games didn't end, but we had a legal front for the money. It was a good thing we had a king sized bed."

"Remember that time we took Freya to Paris? Jack picked the lock on the flat and when I came home I found him asleep in our bedroom. We never could get rid of him after that," Mary mused. Finch paled. She stood up sort of abruptly.

"I'm um, I'm going to go throw up about something else," she said, heading for the bathroom.

Thaddeus kept his seat for a mere moment before following her. He flashed a grin at Mary, before heading after the redheaded girl. "Finch," he said.

"I'm not talking to you!" Finch replied, not actually sick for once in her life but desperate to avoid that conversation with her parents. Whatever that was. "You push, and push, and push, and it never matters what I say and somehow you've charmed her into your way of thinking-"

"I'm fairly certain she had Jack long before I was thought of," he said, reaching for her hand. "I've been running for some time now. I don't know your parents' situation, but I do know I've found a place I'd like to stay. Some days you like me.. a little."

Finch didn't like how comforting and warm his fingers felt. She fidgeted. "You're mean to Brandon. You call Vance 'Scarface' even when I ask you not to. You don't like Spencer, either. You're cocky. I don't like people who aren't a little bit humble. And I mean to marry Vance, and I'm having his child, and somehow you don't seem to understand that I'm serious about him. Devoted and his." Her lip wobbled, and her eyes got suddenly glassy, like she was going to cry. She sniffed, holding back tears. "I love him. And that never matters to anyone."

"Your cousin started it. Your brother is dating a girl who is like my sister, and Vance," Thad rolled his eyes. "I understand." He lifted her hand to kiss it. "You love him. You're carrying his child, and yes, I assume going to marry the scarred bastard." He reached for her slightly widened hip. "And I'd like to bloody be there. Keeping a weathered eye out for my kith and kin. You're in danger, always. Your mother said I will fail you, and that may be. But I'll never know if I do not try."

Finch's eyelashes fluttered, and her heart gave a strange stuttering beat. "I don't understand you."

"You don't understand that Brandon loves you beyond a mere cousin either," Thaddeus said. "But like your mother, you are loved by many." He leaned in. "Finch."

Finch's eyes were beyond wide, green moons in her pale face. A tear slid over her cheek. "Bran does not-"

"He does, little bird," Thad whispered. "Quiet desperation." He swiped at her tear, cupping her cheek. He tilted her head and slotted their lips together.

He smelled weird. Not like Vance. And their lips didn't fit together as well, she wasn't used to it. And she'd never, never really kissed anyone. Well, not anyone that made her heart race (aside from, well, Vance). But it wasn't bad. It wasn't a bad kiss at all. She swallowed. "But I'm not like my mum."

Except she was starting to wonder if maybe she was a lot like her mum.

"I'm not like her Jack," Thad replied, leaning in for another slow kiss. He whispered against her lips. "I had a key."

"You still weren't invited," Finch whispered back. Her body instinctively shifted closer, brushing the flat planes of his torso. She gulped.

"Not by you," Thad said. "Invite me." His hand curled from her hip to her back as he placed the other on her shoulder. "Invite me home."

"I can't. Not right now," Finch said, and she had the good sense to look a little sorry. With someone like her, someone who read so many books, words and invitations and promises held so much meaning. "But you're coming anyway."

 Thaddeus sighed. "Yes, I am," he agreed. "At least until Van is returned from his assignment. Then I imagine he has a loud argument planned where he kicks me out again, until he's got to be away again."

Finch nodded, gulping. She rubbed her stomach absently, brow furrowed in thought. "Well, you can stay for that long anyway. If he asked you to, he must be worried."

"Very much so," Thaddeus agreed. "He loves you very much, Finch. And while I respect it, I feel like he cannot ever provide you with everything. Your loneliness in his absence is clear. Moriarty will always take the forefront. It's why I ran, little bird. I could never give my life to that."

Her lip wobbled again. Perhaps someone's pregnancy hormones were starting to kick in. Finch sniffed, wiping her eyes. "I can handle it. My mum left Papa all the time. I can be like Papa."

"I guess you will. Since your Papa had you," he said, looking at her stomach. "Still, my.. desire remains. I'll be in the car when you're ready to return home. I rather think my presence is makin' the family out of sorts."

Finch blushed, following his gaze. She tugged her shirt down again. "Stop that, it's not noticeable. It's fine. You're embarrassing me. Stop. Anyway, stay. Mum likes to flirt with young men. I asked Vance once if she'd ever- y'know, tried anything with him. He says no but I'm not certain I believe him."

"It isn't noticeable, except I was the first to know," Thad said with a secretive smile. "I'll butter your mum up some more then. I rather like her. Maybe I should join her harem instead of yours," he teased.

"You always could," Finch said helpfully, batting her eyes and smiling. "Although you'd be in line after Sherlock, Dr. John, Jack, Papa and Freya. And probably bunches of other people I haven't even figured out yet."

Thaddeus laughed. "Alas, I think I prefer second in line. Unless there's something about the White Demon I don't know.." He raised his brows and grinned.

"For the last time," Finch said, throwing up her hands. "He's so gay. Ridiculously gay. And apparently into some really kinky stuff that I wouldn't even know about."

"Don't worry. You've got time to learn," Thad said, ushering her back to the dining room.

No comments:

Post a Comment