Monday, December 29, 2014

(Un)Welcome

Thaddeus returned bereft to the parlor. His bags and things lay where he'd left them. With at least two days of cancellations, he had a very solid time of contemplation. Abby had told him he could still make it. He drank a second beer, not really enjoying it, but letting the soft buzz allow him to think. He exhaled smoke into the air. He'd have to air out the shop before Finch came back.

And quit drinking.

And smoking.

A baby?

He was nearly thirty. It wasn't unreasonable to have a child at his age. But Moriarty's child.

He imagined the look on his grandmother's face and smiled. The old bitch.

Abby had told him off for kissing her. When he'd headed to Baker Street, he'd half convinced himself he could learn to love her. Care for her, but watching the White Demon (as Thad had recently begun calling him) had picked her up with only minor protesting and hauled her back home.

Home.

It seemed something more was going on inside Baker Street than he'd realized. Abby wasn't an outsider anymore, that much was clear. If she could make it, why couldn't he? If Vance could, why couldn't he?

He wasn't entirely certain she wasn't hospitalized. He wasn't privy to that sort of information. He could only wait inside the shop, or run afoul of Moriarty protecting his lover. It burned pleasantly that he was the first to discover the child. In a way, he felt a claim on it. He'd fallen for Finch. Could he love her child?

The question whirled and whirled inside his head for days.

The bells on the shop chimed as the door unlocked from the outside.

"Yes," Thaddeus murmured to himself, getting off the sofa in the lobby to greet his boss. His pulse pounded in his throat.

She still looked peaky. Her skin held that chalky "I just threw up" look, freckles standing out against her face. Her hair was pulled back in a messy bun, with curls escaping from all over. And she had barely changed out of her pyjamas, wearing black yoga pants and a hoodie as opposed to her usual jeans and a tee shirt. Finch offered him a weak smile. "When's the first appointment?"

"About an hour," Thad said. "Anything I can pick up for you before hand?"

"No, I'm alright," she said, heading for her station. She had a worn knapsack over her shoulders and a bottle of water in hand. "If I catch you smoking in here again I'll have you castrated."

Thad choked over a cough.

"I aired it out," he whined. "Besides, the Dark Prince and the White Demon have stolen my flatmate."

"I'm sure you're creative. You'll get her back," Finch said with a sigh, flopping down onto her rolling stool. She took a sip of water, watching him.

"Doubtful," Thad said, crossing his arms as he leaned against the open doorway. "Well, I probably could - but in this case, I think, she's happy where she is," he murmured warmly.

"Oh. Well, good, I'm glad," Finch replied, looking vaguely alarmed. More than likely because Spencer was on his way to working things out. "Meanwhile, where are you going to stay?"

"Not sure," Thaddeus said with a shrug of his shoulders. He was quiet a moment. "Well? You? Did you tell 'im?"

Finch was quiet for a long moment, feeling sort of ill at the thought. Then she shook her head. "No. Hadn't figured out how yet."

"Oh," Thaddeus said, dropping his arms. He was surprised. He'd expected her to - well, he hadn't known what to expect, but it likely involved throwing him further out of her life. He felt a growing warmth that he knew her secret. "Did you test at least? To be sure?"

Finch blushed, but she nodded. "Went to the doctor yesterday. Said I had a check up."

Thaddeus lit up, moving closer to her. "And? Yes?" he said, barely constrained excitement.

She looked at him like he'd quite lost his mind, the 'duh' hardly contained. "Well, I'm quite sure now."

"Wicked," Thad breathed. "You ask about working in your - um, condition? Because, generally, I do enjoy having a job. And a place to kip for now. I promise I'll look into somewhere else."

"I don't want to talk about it right now," Finch said, rolling her shoulders. "I feel like I'm going to throw up my own insides and die. Can't we just work and pretend this isn't happening?"

"Can I have my room back?" he asked, teasing her with a wink.

"Nope, you were mean and awful to live with," Finch told him primly, leaning her head on the counter where her inks sat. She was breaking out in a cool sweat.

"I cooked and cleaned up after myself," Thaddeus sniffed, heading back towards the front. "You were mean and awful to live with." He turned back for a moment. "But I enjoyed it."

"Well, I guess I'll be needing the space sooner than I thought, anyway," Finch murmured, blinking. "What do you mean I was mean? You're mean. You said all those awful things."

"What things? About the- about Vance?" Thaddeus humphed. "You tried to kick me out. I was only trying to do what your father asked. Of course, it wasn't without benefits for me." He shrugged sinuously. "But you shrieked and carried on. You don't need that extra bit across the courtyard! Not hardly. And who is going to help raise the tyke?"

If it were possible, Finch paled further. Something she hadn't considered- Vance's work schedule. She buried her head in her arm. "I'll figure something out. Mum did. I mean, mostly she left me with Papa but I can do it. I can do it on my own, if I have to."

"...What if I don't want you to?" Thad said, fidgeting.

Finch turned to look at him, brows knit together. "Why?"

Thad licked his lips, flipping back his hair from his eyes. He shuffled his feet. "I dunno. I like you.. I guess," he said. I love you. "Your mum and dad weren't alone. Not even in that flat." He chewed his lip.

"Yeah, but my mum and papa had a special situation with their baby sitter," Finch chuckled, entirely missing the point.

Thaddeus tucked his hands in his pockets as he headed over to Finch. He bent at the waist, tilting his head. "That's what I'm hoping for," he murmured, pecking her on the cheek before turning around and heading for the lobby. He missed her turning a bright shade of red.

She cleared her throat. "Vance won't like it."

"He's not everything, love," Thaddeus said as the door chimed with their appointment. Her appointment. Somehow within the past two days, he'd grown intensely possessive of her. Of the bundle of cells quickly turning into life. A life that Thad could see worth fighting for.

***
Vance was glad to be home. He'd found a few things out of place - traces of the interloper, but he'd cleaned up the mostly unused master bedroom, changed the sheets and smiled at his handiwork. The room was rarely used for sleeping. He much preferred the fairytale den of the loft. The sparkling lights and warm enclosed space.

But the flat itself was truly a gorgeous creation. He could see Mary's work in it, redressings from Finch gaining it herself, and even his own surprising additions. His work boots lay beside the door, a small camera-bag that contained quite a bit more than that on the dining room table.

This place had become home. How strange, he thought as he headed for the kitchen.

Finch had been ill, so he didn't want to order take away. She'd barely kept anything down. He'd worried constantly, but she'd insisted it was flu. He checked the time on his mobile, and considered logging into the cameras at her shop to see if she'd be late. She'd promised to be home earlier, taking fewer appointments until she felt better.

The door opened, and her keys clinked into the bowl next to the door. Her voice was still croaky and rough when she called his name. "Vance?"

"Kitchen, bird," he said, setting a pot of water on the stove. "How does buttered noodles for dinner sound?"

"Bland, but manageable," Finch sulked. Food had fought her (and won) all day, and she wasn't looking forward to trying again. "How was your day?"

"Productive," Vance said, turning on the hob. He headed out to see her. He cupped her cheeks, leaning in for a kiss. "Domestic. Lovely. If a bit lonely. I'm glad to see you home."

"I'm glad to be home," the small woman said with a smile. "We were busier than I thought. I'm exhausted."

"Are you up for supper then?" Vance asked, stroking her hair back from her face. "We can watch telly a bit. I can't remember the last time we've just relaxed together, bird."

Finch tipped up to kiss the corner of his mouth, nuzzling her nose to his cheek. "Telly and noodles sounds nice. Cozy and chill. I need that."

"Good," Vance smiled. "Go cuddle up and I'll bring you some tea."

Finch changed into warm, soft pyjamas, hoping that the softness around her abdomen was her imagination. It had to be, she was just paranoid. But still, soon it wouldn't be. Gulping, she returned to the sofa, pulling her faded quilt around her body until she looked like a little Finch-er-pillar, cocooned up and ready for hibernation.

Vance puttered around in the kitchen, happy to still find everything in its place. He made two simple carb-filled meals. He carried the bowls in and handed one off to her, going to get their tea as well.

"One thing I hated about travelling abroad is the distinct lack of decent tea," he said, sitting beside her to sip at his cup.

Finch brought hers to her lips before realizing it wasn't herbal or decaffeinated. She didn't know much about babies but she was pretty sure she shouldn't have regular tea. Right? She set the mug back down without taking a sip.

"Something wrong?" Vance asked. "I thought tea would be easy on you."

"I can't have it," Finch said with a forlorn look in her eyes. "I forgot. I can't have anything with caffeine."

"I think there migh' be something in the cupboard," Vance said sitting down his cup, ready to get up. "Wait- no caffeine? Thought the doc said you were doin' alright?"

Finch blushed, pert nose dusted pink. "We are doing alright. But I still can't have caffeine. Not for a while."

Vance's brows furrowed. His eyes widened.

"We?"

She nodded slowly, mouth pulled into a small little line. "We."

Vance blinked rapidly, sinking back into the couch. "Bloody hell," he breathed. "You mean you're-?" He looked at her, nodding at her vaguely. His face had gone ashen.

"I mean, if you don't like it, it's okay. It won't, I mean, I won't bother you for anything," Finch mumbled, pulling the blanket closer around herself. She felt fragile, like the wrong word from him would shatter her into a million pieces. "I know we were taking things slow and all."

Vance was still processing, but slowly wrapping his head around it.

"So no caffeine," he said, nodding.

Finch's lower lip trembled. "Yeah. No caffeine. I think."

Vance kept nodding. "Alrigh'. We can do that," he said. "It's- you're really-.. wow." He breathed out, then reached for Finch. "Well, it's not like the little bird's gonna be here for awhile. We've got plenty of time to sort things out. Don't we?" His strange eyes were full of tentative fear and choking hope.

Finch sniffed, but she nodded. "Yeah. We've got loads of time. Or I do, I mean, like I said, I don't want to push you. It's just something that's happened. It'll work out."

"Push me to what?" Vance said, pushing the quilt away to pull her closer. "It's mine, innit?"

"Of course it is," Finch told him, wrapping herself in his arms. "No one else. I told you."

"And you're mine, too," Vance said into her hair. "There's nothing to push, Finch. We're- we're having a family."

"You don't seem very happy about it," Finch said, the constant sulk she'd felt crashing down on her hard. She sniffed again. "I thought- I thought you might like it."

Vance barked out a laugh. "I love it," he breathed. "I'm just- it's incredible, and a bit terrifyin'. For starters your mum is going to kill me. Should we get married? I should like to." He touched her stomach. "A wee little one. I'm - Hell, Finch, I'm English." He sniffed, pretending like he wasn't being emotional.

"Married and babies," Finch breathed. She nudged into his arms, burying her head in the crook of his neck. "I'm overwhelmed. I was so scared that you might leave or something."

"Leave? Why would I leave?" Vance asked. "God, if anythin' I need to tell your mum I need to be here. You're barely keepin' down anythin'. What if somethin' happened? What if you needed me?"

Finch snuggled down as hard as she could, as close as she could get to him. "Mum was in the hospital a lot with me. I think it's just par for the course with our hearts. You'll be here when you can. I know the job means a lot to you."

Vance kissed her head over and over. He rubbed her stomach gently.

"We'll make it, love," he said. "A family, a real family." He pulled the quilt back around her, around himself too. "A baby 'n everythin'. I have no idea about babes. I was good with the littles, but they were all walking and talking."

"It'll walk and talk eventually," Finch replied smartly. "We'll be okay. We will be okay. Everything will be okay."

Vance laughed again. "Which means we're utterly fucked," he said, snuggling his lover. "But we'll make it."

***

Sebastian sped along London streets, heavy foot on the pedal. Mary had made him wait until morning before ambushing their daughter. He hadn't slept a wink. The old soldier in him had awakened. His knuckles were white as he drove.

His gritted teeth could be heard churning in his mouth as he pulled out front of the flat.

"She's coming back to the cottage," Seb said. "Or we're moving back. She's too young and too ill."

"Don't be stupid," Mary said, looking entirely unimpressed. "She's going to be fine. You're overreacting."

"Your protege has impregnated our daughter!" Sebastian said for the hundredth time as they headed for the door. "I'm going to kill him!"

"You will not! What if your darling pet had impregnated her?" Mary asked, her voice full of authority. "She picked Vance, despite what you think, and before I had anything to do with him. We will be supportive and loving and so help me God, Sebastian-"

"Missus M, Mr. Moran," Vance said from the open door. "I reckon you're here to see about things?"

Sebastian growled. Mary elbowed him in the side.

"How is she, dear?" Mary asked, stepping into the once familiar home.

"Bit ill at the stomach," Vance said, head bowed as he let them in. "Can't keep a thing down long. Won't take a drop of tea. Says not to have caffeine." He lowered his voice. "She cried a bit."

Mary's cool green eyes were on him in an instant. "You. Made. Her. Cry?"

"I just asked if she wanted a shirt without mess on it," Vance said. "She had a bit of noodles on her."

Seb rolled his eyes. "Don't ever tell them they're less than perfection at this stage," he said.

"We are perfect. It's you lot that are hopeless," Mary muttered, limping into the living room where her daughter was curled up under the quilts. "What trouble you manage to get yourself into."

"Please, Mum, no lectures. I've got a splitting headache," Finch complained.

"She ain't drinkin'," Vance said, crossing his arms.

Seb pushed around the younger man, heading for his baby girl. "I was perfectly good during your pregnancies, especially when you whelped that Holmes brat," he said, reaching for his daughter. "Come here, love. What has he done to my little cub?"

"It hurts to drink. Even water comes back up," Finch whined, letting her father pick her up. Mary rolled her eyes.

"You baby her," she said.

"Don't let her fool you, I coddled her just the same," Seb said, rubbing Finch's back. "Silly girl, choosing the mutt," he whispered in her ear. "I suppose what's done. A cuppa black tea once a day, no more. Half a glass of red wine once a week. For your heart."

"Are you very cross, Papa?" Finch asked in a small voice, leaning on her dad.

"How can I be cross with you, my girl?" Seb said. "My daughter. Growing up. I suppose children are safer than criminals."

"Doubtful," Vance said.

"You! I'm cross with," Seb growled. "I might remove your bollocks and give them to Holmes for experiments."

Vance blanched, looking at Mary for help. She shrugged.

"Papa, please," Finch pleaded, trying to give Seb her best puppy eyes without throwing up. "I love him. I really do. And I never asked for anything, never wanted anything. Just him."

"I mean to make a proper father and husband if she'll let me," Vance said, trying to keep from cringing from the intimidating parents.

"You asked for your shops," Seb said. "Your mum and I trusted you."

"And she-!" Vance started, voice raising.

"And she's done a damned good job," Seb said crossly.

"Those were meant to be a surprise," Finch muttered. Mary laughed.

"You'll never have any surprises from us," Mary said, patting her daughter's hair. Finch looked up, eyebrow raised.

"Except the one."

"Well, yes. Except that one," Mary agreed.

"One," Seb stressed. "You have no idea what you're in for. A child is not a pet. They aren't something to be played with and left to their own devices."

"I'm mostly managing a criminal empire. How hard can a wee thing be?" Vance said.

"You make it very hard for me to be on your side through this," Mary quipped at him.

Vance looked surprised. "I didn't know you were on my side," he said, flushing lightly. "I'll be needing more help, Missus M. I want to be here for her."

"Don't be silly, she'll be fine. I'll be much more put out with you if you quit. You wouldn't be stupid enough to be asking that, now would you?" Mary asked sweetly. Finch glared at her mother.

Vance bristled. "Absolutely not," he said, shoulders pulling back.

"Maybe a nurse as she progresses," Sebastian suggested, petting his daughter. "Or we could move into a nearby flat, or into Jack's space across the way until she.."

"I can handle it," Vance said.

"We can handle it!" Finch corrected.

"Mary," Seb said, looking back at his wife. "Talk some sense into them. A nurse, a guard, something! You were in and out of hospital during your first, I was never certain of anything for months."

"But dearest, you said to let them grow up," Mary replied with a sickly sweet grin. She blinked innocently. "If they say they can handle it-"

Seb got off the sofa, scowling at his wife. He leaned in close to mutter. "But it's our baby. Our baby having a baby and you've let her run off perfectly good security, and I still might strangle this one," he said, pointing at Vance who flinched behind Mary.

Mary just continued to smile placidly, like a very terrifying nineteen-fifties housewife. "Darling, they're doing just fine. Or are you implying you raised someone entirely incapable of taking care of herself? It surely appears so after you practically planted a babysitter in the house for her."

"Yeah, Papa, that was just not on," Finch complained, standing behind him with her arms crossed over her chest. "Vance, stop cowering."

"Oi, he could kill me," Vance whined.

"The first time she's in hospital," Seb said, shaking a finger at Mary. "Let them play house, but for god's sake - if you don't call me immediately, I will-"

"Yes, yes, castrate me, slit my throat and make sure no one remembers my name," Vance said, edging around Mary to scoot back to Finch. "We can do it, Missus M. Iffin I can learn everythin' you set me to, I can learn to take care of a little."

"He calls it a little, isn't that adorable?" Finch cooed. Mary rolled her eyes.

"Charming," she said blandly. "If you need anything, you'll call us. Even if it's just for ice cream. We'll bring it to you." Or someone would. Probably Jack.

"Yes m'um," Vance said, leaning to give Finch a kiss on the cheek. "Missus M, if I could just- have a chat before you go? Alone?"

"You children are always so demanding," Mary muttered, but she limped off in the direction of the kitchen anyway. It was always better for Seb to have some alone time with Finch, who promptly was back at his daughter's side.

"I know you ain't real happy with me, um, Mary," Vance said, fidgeting. He had a hard time looking her in the eye. "But I was hoping, with my expenses and all, if I could manage a bit extra this next month for a certain purchase..."

"Trying to do things traditionally, are we?" Mary asked, managing to look down her nose at him even though he was taller. "I believe that can be arranged. Although you are the boss now. You are the one who controls your extra money."

"I know, I know," Vance said, pacing a bit. "It's just a surprise, y'know? A big surprise and we were going slow, but this is.. it's big! It's big and she deserves the bloody crown jewels, and wait- who has those?"

"The real ones or the ones on display?" Mary asked cautiously before shaking her head. "Never mind that. It is a surprise. She certainly seems surprised, I hadn't anticipated that." Almost to herself, she added, "I'd been concerned it was planned."

Vance blinked. He looked confused for a moment, then shook his head.

"Wouldn't matter an'way," he huffed. "If she wants a wee babe, then we're having one." He nodded again. "Planned or not. I do aim to marry your daughter, Missus M. All due respect."

Mary's smile was genuine this time. "I do so hope you win. You've got potential. And either way, I s'pose, barring any unfortunate incidents, you're family now. Father to my grandchild and all that."

Vance gave her a hopeful smile, true happiness blooming. "I've go' a family," he said, eyes glistening. "I've got to get back to my family, Missus M. I'm sorry for making you come all the way out here."

"Eh. He was itching to get away from Sherlock. She could've stubbed her toe and we'd've been in for a visit," Mary remarked, examining her nail before brushing if over the lapel of her jacket. "Hmm, speaking of, perhaps I should visit my son."

"I won't be keepin' you," Vance said, offering up his arm to help her out to the living room again.

Seb was petting Finch and whispering into her ear. He'd doted on Mary terribly during her pregnancies, worried constantly - even over Spencer - and he was uncertain about Vance's ability to provide the emotional and physical and amorous needs for her.

"Papa, please, I'll be fine," Finch said in her best grown-up voice. "I love you, Papa. You aren't cross? Don't be cross."

Seb cupped her cheeks to press a dry kiss to her head. "Yes my little bird, I'm only terribly overwhelmed that you're not my little cub, but a bird flying free from her nest."

"Poetic," Vance said, grinning at Mary.

"I didn't marry him for his smarts," Mary replied under her breath. "Come along, Tiger. Leave the new parents to celebrate. We should be off before Sherlock finds that other cherub in the tree."

Seb sighed, letting go of his daughter with a heavy heart. "Yes, love," he said, gathering Mary away from the thing that made his daughter a woman. "We'll be by again very soon."

"Yes, thank you," Vance said, leading them out. "Drive safe, enjoy your trip."

He sighed when he closed the door, shoulders relaxing.

Finch was trying not to giggle. "You were so assertive. Is that how you treat your business associates? It's a wonder you haven't been shot."

"Shot at a few times," Vance sniffed. "But your mum says confidence is key because otherwise they'd walk all over me and not respect me if I wasn't sure of m'self. Your mum still scares the everlivin' piss out of me though. Your papa, too, but your Mum - she's got secrets in her hair and guns hidden in those fluffy dresses."

"Yes, I know," Finch said with a sad sigh. "I'm not quite sure how to be a mum after surviving her." She sat down on the sofa once more, leaning forward with her elbows on her thighs. "She's terrifying."

Vance sat beside her, breathing a sigh of relief.

"I love you," he said simply, looking at her with his good eye. She reached up to trace his cheek.

"I love you, too," Finch told him.

Vance leaned in to kiss her tenderly. He rubbed his nose against hers. "Guess we'll have to start using the grown up's room, hm?"

"Not at all," Finch replied, grinning. "That would make us grown ups. Besides, that's my bed, my papa built it for me. We'll make the baby something else."

Vance grinned back. He felt like he'd just gotten off a rollercoaster, giddy, stomach flipping and a bit dizzy. As Finch rested against him and his eyes locked on something on the telly, his stomach dropped and dread flooded through his veins.

***

They celebrated wildly, of course. Snogging in the kitchen, sex in the loft, soft touches in the bathroom, hugs in the hall. Of course, there was still the morning sickness and the tiredness, but now Vance knew to hold her and encourage her. He worried as she worked, but she was careful and her work was her passion. Or at least, one passion Vance wanted his girlfriend to keep. She'd blossomed so much in the time they'd been together.

Eventually, a job came. He had to leave. Three nights, on the continent.

Vance let himself into the shop, well into the wee hours of the morning. He'd left Finch sleeping, with hazy goodbyes and lazy kisses.

"Get up," Vance said.

Thaddeus grunted and tugged his blanket tighter.

"Piss off, wanker," he mumbled.

Vance pulled out a key ring, the metal sliding against metal, clinking gently.

One almond shaped eye peeked out.

"Whassat?" Thad said, sizing Vance up.

Vance's mouth twitched, growing tight at the edge. "Flat key. I've got something, someone very precious to me that needs protecting," he murmured.

"And you-"

"Shut up," Vance interrupted. "And I'm finding you're unwelcome, yet in high demand. Why is that? More than two families, two groups angry that you've gone soft. And I hear my name, this family's name whispered and spat upon because you... you're protecting her."

"She can protect herself, mate," Thad's low rumble responded.

"Not from the things she doesn't see."

Thad laughed through his nose as he sat up. "It were only a little trouble," he said, shrugging.

Vance tossed the key across the space, and Thad caught it up.

"I want no trouble," Vance said, deadly serious. "Now I doubt you don't come with flowers and sunshine and rainbows, but the grapevine says - "

"Shouldn't listen to fruit, mate," Thad said, stretching. "But if you're asking, don't say 'nother word. I'm there. Not for you, mind. For her. She'll be all piss and vinegar again. Did you ask her?"

"Course not," Vance barked. "She'd be piss and vinegar. You get yourself in."

"And wha' you'll kick me out again?" Thad wondered. 

"Mebbe, may-be not," Vance replied. "Least three days I'll be gone. Keep an eye on her, always." His voice softened. "And see to it she eats something once in awhile."

"Git," Thad said, moving to smack the taller bloke on the arm. "Go on. Get your arse back sooner rather than later."

No comments:

Post a Comment