Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Break Free

Finch's mouth gaped, staring at Abby with wide, surprised eyes. "What?"

"I don't want your boyfriend stoppin' 'round here anymore," Abby repeated, her hands crossed over her chest, eyes firm. "He migh' be the boss of the un'erworld but he's no' the boss of this shop, I am. An' I don't need word gettin' 'round that Moriarty likes to loiter at my shop. You're cool, Finch, and I want to keep ya, but you can't bring 'im 'ere when you're working."

"But-" Finch blushed, feeling too many things at once. She wasn't used to feeling this many things at once! "But, I don't get to see him-"

"I understand that, but this is my shop. Rules is rules. You don't like it, you migh' as well clear out," Abby said, standing firm on her decision. "You're a talented artist, you have potential, but I can't."

Finch felt like her skin drained of all the blood, a cold feeling settling in her gut. She nodded. "Right. Well, thanks for the notice. I'll just shove off then."

Abby was calling her name as she left the shop.

She ran right into Thaddeus who spun, catching her up with fluid grace.

"Fancy running into you," he chuckled.

"Let go!" Finch said, slamming her elbow into his stomach.

"Ooph," Thaddeus grunted, twisting her about to right her, but he left his hand around her wrist. "Where are you going in such a hurry, Miss Morstan?"

"Home. To get drunk. A bar. China, I don't know and it's none of your business!" Finch shouted, twisting in his grip. "I'm so fucking sick of everyone right now!"

"Whoa, whoa, baby girl," Thaddeus said. "I can take you anywhere, but here, but trust me I got a nice six pack and a bottle of wine - if you're looking to get wasted."

"No, I know where I'm going and you are not invited!" Finch snapped, turning on her heel and walking in the other direction. Thaddeus shrugged and quickly followed on step with a smarmy smirk. He had considered bothering Abby again, teasing her about her recent company, but this was more fun.

The music could be heard thumping through the obnoxious yellow painted brick walls. Finch bypassed the line and slipped inside the club with a quick flash of her ID and made her way towards the corner of the bar. She took the glass right out of her cousin's hand and downed his drink, and he was shocked enough to see her there that he let her.

"Rough night?" Brandon asked.

"FUCK EVERYTHING," Finch shouted back. He motioned for a bottle of his favorite and another glass from the short, green-haired man behind the counter.

It took Thaddeus a few seconds extra, and a snog and flirt with the bouncer before he was inside. He spotted the blond and red-gold heads in seconds, smiling. He made sure to sit two seats down from the couple, holding up a finger for a drink. He had a few pounds.

"And then that-that bitch," Finch was not used to talking like that but she'd grown bolder working in the shop. She took another shot. "That bitch told me not to bring Vance 'round anymore! I only see him once every two months or so! Bad for her reputation!"

"After she fucked your brother and everything," Brandon agreed, pulling Finch into his lap. She was starting to sway on her own. He poured them each another shot, winking at Oz. "Poor poppet. Let pervy cousin Brandon fix it."

Thaddeus slipped over one stool with his pint.

"Have a pity party?" he murmured right behind Brandon's ear.

"Stalker much?" Brandon snarked back.

"Just a bit," Thad said laughing through his nose. "She was quite distraught. I was only being a gentleman, making sure she was safe. Running about the street with tears in her eyes." He sniffed, wiping the corner of his eye in mockery. "Now I find she's crying over the knob-head, dear lord."

"I'm so sick of you people," Finch hissed, trying to wriggle out of Brandon's grasp. "Told him not to follow."

"Uh-uh, nope, little girl. You've had enough to drink that we ought to call ya Fish instead of Finch. C'mon, have another," Brandon said, keeping his arm firmly around her waist while handing her another drink. "Get pissed enough and I'll tell you dirty stories."

"Ooo, may I listen in? I might have a story or two to share," Thaddeus purred. He raised his hand for the bartender to bring another bottle and glass. He slid some money across the counter. "My treat."

"I don't want to hear your stupid stories," Finch said, and finally Brandon let her have her own stool back. She looked over at them sullenly, her eyes slightly hazy. "You guys going to fuck?"

Thaddeus laughed musically. "Brandon the pervy cousin?" he murmured. "Make love, not war, ice man."

"I make love to who I want, and I certainly don't want you," Brandon sniffed. Finch stole his bottle and took another gulp.

"I hate people," she said, laying her head down on the sticky bar.

"What's wrong with me, love?" Thaddeus asked. "Bonnie-boy bouncer at the door was quite happy for a snog." He said, reaching out to tug a lock of Brandon's hair.

"You're not my type," Brandon said, catching Thad's wrist firmly. His eyes flashed. "And I'm no' drunk enough nor desperate enough to want somethin' that looks like you."

"What's more your type? Red-headed, tiny, and drunk off her arse?" Thaddeus teased, twisting his wrist in Brandon's grasp. "Girls who can't say no?"

"And what was you going to do with 'er? I'm family, I take care of family," Brandon growled, jaw clenched. Finch paused, glass halfway to her lips, watching them.

"I can say no. It's just none of you listen when I do say it," Finch said, tipping the clear liquid into her mouth.

Vance appeared out of the crowd. "Yes, you're very good at saying no," he breathed heavily, having run from the tattoo shop.

"I was just gonna treat her real nice, lover boy," Thaddeus said. "Take her mind off all the crazy, maybe share a little bit of some nice Mary Jane.."

"V-Vance?" Finch asked, not entirely sure she wasn't hallucinating.

Vance pulled her hair away from her face, kissing her damp forehead. "Just got off a flight," he said, pushing the liquor away from her. Just out of reach.

"About damn time. Poor little lamb came runnin' to me after being chased by this slag," Brandon told Vance, growling at Thad. "He was going to take her back to his flat and drug-"

Thaddeus yanked at Brandon's arm.

"I was gonna let her chill, mate," he said.

"Yeah, and why should I trust you?" Brandon shoved at the stranger.

"Why should she trust you?" Thad turned back on him, shoving back. "Thirty percent of sexual abuse occurs between family members."

"She's my fuckin' sister you arsehole!" Brandon shouted, and his fist connected with Thad's cheekbone.

Thaddeus took the hit, eyes flashing. Vance moved to break them apart, but Thad hit Vance's arm, unleashing the hidden blade he now knew lurked beneath the man's sleeves.. Thaddeus caught it, elbowing Brandon in the solar plexus then across the face before pinning him to the bar with the blade. The white-blond haired man reached behind him and brought the tequila bottle down on Thad's head with an angry crash.

In the middle of the fight, Vance hauled Finch off the bar, pulling her away from shattering glass.

"How'd you fin' me?" Finch asked, blinking up at him, biting her lip.

No comments:

Post a Comment