Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Old Secrets

Finch knew that she worked hard, and she was pushing herself with the shop, trying to prove to her mother and to Vance that she was strong, independent. Capable of taking care of herself (and Bran, when needs must). So she knew she was tired. She knew that she'd felt sort of weak, but brushed it off as just fatigue and anxiety. Her appointment book was full, and she'd started to take on some merch on the side, and she was looking into a piercer. Even though she didn't want to work with Abby on principal alone, she knew it'd be good to have her around (once she was up to it) just to take on the overflow.

So Finch did not worry when she fell asleep on the couch watching TV one night after work. Vance was gone, and the loft was lonely without him. She was lonely without him.

She didn't pay attention to the lightheaded feeling that had haunted her all day, or the echoes of her heartbeat throbbing in her chest. 

She slept. Like Sleeping Beauty had slept, unaware of the glass coffin lid closing down on her. 

***

Thaddeus had shown up for 'work' at the usual time. He wasn't technically paid or anything, but being around Finch instead of his usual haunts was better than it had been. Some part of him still missed Lizzy. They'd been friends. Friends with benefits, but friends. 

Finch argued with him, insulted him, ordered him around. He enjoyed their verbal spars and when he got her wound up enough to admit she anything less than hated him.

He waited on the stairs, smoking. 

One hour turned to two, two to four.

He chalked it up to a day off. Until the next day, he waited again.

Two hours and several cigarettes in, he decided to head by her flat. Normally she'd text him - at least! - if the boyfriend was in town and she was going AWOL. He rang the bell, knocked. Worried, he reached for his lock picks. He got the first lock open, but the chain lock made him curse.

He pulled a rubber band from around his packet of cigarettes, slipping it over the end of the chain and closing the door enough where he could unlatch it from the outside.

"Finch?" he said, door finally open.

A cup of tea had been spilled, not warm any longer, he noted as he rushed to take the unconscious girl's pulse. He dialed for an ambulance, heart pounding in his head. Thud, thud, thud.

***

Mary's hair lifted in the breeze, the smoke curling up her nostrils when she exhaled. Her unfocused eyes scanned the woods. Her cane lay next to her against the front stairs of the rustic lodge they called home, and her phone was safely tucked in her pocket. Of course she'd been alerted the moment the ambulance was summoned, but she was waiting for Seb to get a text, to come looking for her.

To learn how wrong she'd been.

But before that, Mary was going to finish the joint in her hand and dull the worry in her brain, because if she didn't, she was going to cry. And villains never cry.

Not even when she was about to shoot them in the head.

Heavy footsteps were quickly coming as Seb almost ran Mary over on the stairs.

"She's at Saint Thomas's," he said.

"I know," Mary whispered quietly, taking in another deep lungful. She held it while she spoke, her body burning with too many things. "I was informed."

"Bring it with you, smoke in the car," Seb said, scooping her up with a grunt. He was losing his touch a bit, but he scooped up her cane with a free hand. "All I have is she was admitted unconscious. What's wrong with our daughter?"

He tucked Mary in the passenger side, stealing the joint for a single nervous inhale before handing it back.

"She's sick," Mary answered calmly, taking a final drag before tossing the remainders out the window. "It's her heart. There's nothing to be done."

Seb crouched beside the car, the air knocked out of him. He laid a large hand on Mary's leg, shaking his head.

"It was poison," he growled.

"Not according to Mycroft," Mary told him, waiting patiently for what was coming, her nerves steeled as best she could. "He told me before he died. It was never poison."

Sebastian jerked away, boots scrapping on their drive way.

"It was poison. It was. You're fifty eight years old," he roared. "It's not her heart!"

"You can believe me, or you can believe the doctors that are going to agree with me in an hour's time. It makes no difference," Mary said, looking over at him. Her hands were folded daintily in her lap, head bowed slightly. "Mycroft made the whole story up. He told me before he died. I repeat, it was never poison."

"And you just let her go on? La-dee-dah, oh right, I've passed on a genetically ill heart!?" Sebastian continued, ripping across the drive. "You didn't tell me. You didn't tell me. She is my daughter. Mine!"

"I'd hoped, since she'd shown no signs of being ill, that she hadn't gotten the condition. It didn't seem to matter at this point," Mary whispered, squeezing her hands together until her knuckles were white. "She's my daughter, too. I did this to her."

Sebastian was back at Mary's side, pressing his greying head into her lap and pulling her tiny hands in with his. His sniper calm hands trembled.

"I should have told you," Mary said softly, eyes glazed. "But she wasn't sick. This is, without a doubt, my fault. For that I apologize."

"You are fifty-eight," Seb said, as though the number was the one thing he could hold onto. "She can have at least that long." He kissed her hands. "Buckle up. Don't tell Jack. Not yet. I'll tell him."

"I want to watch," Mary said, bending to kiss his head. Her voice cracked when she spoke, and she sounded soft, like herself, not the person she pretended to be. "I'm so sorry, Sebastian."

Seb's eyes were hard when he said, "Tell Finch that." He blinked it away, because it felt like Jim had a hold of his heart. He leaned up to kiss Mary. "I'm sorry. Let's go. I don't want her alone."

"She won't be," Mary sniffed, wiping her eyes. It would do no good to open herself to him if he was still angry with her. She swallowed hard. Fifty-eight. She wondered if this was the year she was going to die.

Sebastian got in the car, anger burned off, worry and fear in its wake. "You'll have more time," he said, pulling out of the drive.

"Will I have more time with you?" Mary asked, leaning her head back, thick hair providing a soft cushion.

"Ages," Sebastian promised.

***

Thud, thud, thud.

"This is your fault," Vance seethed.

Thaddeus pressed his fingertips to his temples. "How is this my fault?" he asked.

"I don't know!" Vance burst out. They weren't letting him back. He pulled up his phone to bring the video up again. He'd only meant to check on Finch before going to sleep. The hour difference had driven him crazy missing her even though he was slowly making his way back to London. The camera had seemed like an invasion of privacy, but over time, it became a touchstone for their long distance relationship.

He checked on her often.

He thought she was only sleeping, until he tuned in to Thaddeus bursting in and Finch being completely unresponsive. He'd rented a car and made up the difference in no time at all.

"Stop shouting!" Brandon said, striding in with Spencer and Abby at his heels. He picked out the criminals in a sea of normal looking people in the waiting room. "Where is she? Where is Finch, you useless piece of shit!"

"In a room," Vance said, arms crossed. "In a bloody room that they won't let me in!" He was shouting in the direction of the nurses' station.

"For God's sake, you aren't family," Spencer said. "Is Mum here yet?"

"Back with her," Thaddeus said, arms crossed over his stomach. "And the doctors. Her dad too, I'm guessing. No wonder where she gets the thing for Scarface here."

Vance turned as though he was going to hit Thaddeus.

Brandon had Thaddeus by the collar of his jacket out of the seat faster than a blink and slammed into a wall, head hitting hard. "He's family. You don't talk about him like that, you hear me?"

Thaddeus winced. "Fine job he's doing watching her through some little camera," he said, reaching up to rub his skull. "Oh right, you're the bloke who got me arrested." Somehow this seemed to make Thaddeus brighten instead of scowl.

"Brandon, I'm going back with or without you all," Spencer said, striding through the hospital, looking like a miniature version of his father.

"Coming," Brandon said, slamming Thad again for good measure before dropping him. He angled his jaw at Vance. "Come on, moron."

"Oh, it's alright for you to talk like that," Abby muttered under her breath, moving over to sit down. A murderous glare from Bran stopped her.

"I think that's our cue to follow," Thaddeus said, shrugging as Vance and Brandon were on Spencer's heels. A few nurses went to stop Spencer who said something Thad couldn't hear, but the women were shrinking back as Spencer continued his high headed stalk into the rooms.

He followed instincts, until finally he heard his mother's voice coming from outside a cracked door.

He pushed it open, heading inside.

"Mother," he said softly.

"Hello darling," Mary said, wide red-rimmed eyes on the door the moment it opened. She was trying to wipe tears away, unsuccessfully. "Your sister's awake. Would you like to say hello?"

Spencer went to kiss his mother's cheek, then moved to his sister's bed. It was an admittedly large suite. A single room too.

"Finch?" he said, stroking her hair.

"She's on some medications, Spence," Seb said. "She may not be one hundred percent."

Finch's eyes flicked over to her father, her lips curling, but she smiled for Spencer. "I'm okay. I mean, I'm okay now." Brandon had shoved his way to the edge of her bed, watching the scene. Hating when her eyes landed on Vance, IV covered arm reaching out. "V-Vance-"

Vance reached for her hand, on the opposite side of Spencer.

"You should've texted if you wasn't feelin' well, bird," he said.

"Or said something, you know, anything?" Thaddeus drawled from his place against the back wall. "To your coworkers?"

"Leave it," Spencer snapped.

"I can get rid of him," Brandon offered.

"Leave him alone, he found her," Abby snapped, although usually she was in favor of getting rid of Thad. "He's got every right to see if she's okay."

"Not the time to fight, children," Mary said, and the calm in her voice was more frightening than if she'd scolded them.

"Vance, you're here," Finch said, touching his hands.

Spencer rolled his eyes.

"I'm here, bird," Vance said, rubbing her hands back. They were cold.

Spencer pulled away, going over to his mother. His eyes flicked over her red-rimmed eyes.

"Wasn't poison," he said, voice devoid of emotion.

"I did try to tell you. Speaking of which, perhaps Spencer should be tested," Mary murmured, watching Finch hold onto Vance like he was the only think keeping her on Earth.

"My heart is fine," Spencer said. "I'm not sick."

"Spencer," Sebastian said, holding Mary's hand on the hospital settee. "It's best to get you tested."

"I've been as bloody well tested as I'm getting," he said.

Brandon grabbed at Spencer's wrist, making him turn and face the older boy. "You'll get tested. Yeah?"

Spencer glared, mouth set in a surly scowl. He looked from Brandon to Abby and back. He nodded sharply. "Mum, you'll come with me," he said. "Now, if we can get it over with?"

"Yes, of course, dear," Mary patted Sebastian on the shoulder, standing and reaching for her ever-present cane. "Shall we?" Abby pushed away from where she was leaning on the wall, ready to follow both of them.

"I-" Brandon looked back at Finch, who looked so pale and small in the bed, and then at Spencer. "I'll come with you."

Spencer raised a brow at him. "She might need you here," he offered the out. "If you'd rather stay."

"I think me'n'Scarface can handle it," Thaddeus scoffed. "I did get her to hospital myself."

"You're not welcome here," Brandon snapped, eyes flashing. Finch made a noise and he turned, bending to let her ruffle his hair.

"You have to go with Spence. He needs you," Finch whispered. Brandon kissed her forehead.

"I'll come back later when the boys have gone, and it can be just us girls. We'll gossip and have a proper cuddle, now that we're both in the Sick and Dying club," Brandon promised, the intensity fading from his eyes, the persona he'd cultivated for her slipping back into place. She smiled.

"Sounds like a plan," Finch said. "Go, play."

Mary wanted to crawl under a rock and die, her daughter reminder her so much of herself, of her mother. She cleared her throat. "Come along, ducklings. We'll need to speak with some doctors."

"I'll keep these other two out of trouble," Sebastian said, nodding at the spot beside himself for Thaddeus. He understood the boy's position. He understood them all. He was watching Mary lead Spencer off and had to close his eyes to keep Jim's figure from taking his place.

"You're here. I missed you so much," Finch was saying, rubbing her hands with Vance's. "I just fell 'sleep. Don't remember coming here."

"You were unconscious," Thaddeus said, crossing his legs. He tapped his cigarette box and Seb snatched it from his hand, shaking his head.

Vance perched on the side of the bed. "Scared the piss out of me, little bird," he said. "I wasn't sure what I was coming home to. You're supposed to be the safe one."

"I've been safe. I kept my promise," Finch said, a worried wrinkle appearing on her pale, smooth brow. Her lower lip jutted out. "I haven't gone out. I have just gone to work and home. I even told Bran I wouldn't drink anymore, 'specially with him being sick."

"Unfortunately that foul-mouthed brat is righ'," Vance said. "You're sick too, little duck. Just here." He touched her sternum. Seb rolled his eyes and looked away. He wanted to break Vance's fingers, but Sebastian also knew the things Mary had done, had needed during her bad periods.

"Oi, you handsy fucker," Thaddeus said. "You're in hospital."

"He's my boyfriend, you're hardly even a friend at this point," Finch argued, forgetting her father was in the room for a second. "We have sex like, all the time-"

"Finch," Sebastian sighed. "As much as I love you, darling, and I do my lovely daughter, please, please mind your mouth."

"She minds it," Vance teased, smirking at her. "Very well."

"He's a sniper, you know. He could end you," Finch teased back, her eyes never leaving his face. "You'll go again soon, won't you. If I fall asleep, will you be here when I wake up?"

"I'm not going anywhere soon," Vance said. "I'll be right here. Don't fight it if you need to sleep." He kissed her forehead then her lips. "Want me to curl up with you? It's bloody cold in here."

"It's to reduce germ transmission," Seb said, getting up. "You'll need help moving her. They've got a lot of monitors on right now. Shoes off, too."

"Yes, Boss," Vance snarked.

"Papa," Finch whispered, letting her eyes droop. "I love you. You too, Vance."

Seb and Vance helped her against Vance's chest. His daughter was asleep in minutes.

"Why'd you let him do that?" Thaddeus asked, tapping his fingers and toes. Uncomfortable, but unwilling to leave.

"Mary believes in healing touch. Or at least, that's how it's boiled down. She's always done better with someone - anyone she loves being close. Sure, I could give Finch a heated blanket, but the body warmth and heart beat of another person, it helps," Sebastian said, touching his lips. "It really helps."

***

Spencer sat, stripped to his waist on an examining table. He'd had to fill out reams of paperwork, and sign waivers, and basically lost his patience and shoved the rest off on a nurse.

The technician brought in came in with a frown between his brows.

"If you guests would like to wait outside, there's a waiting room just across the hall," the older man said.

"They're fine where they are," Spencer snapped.

"Mrs. Holmes-"

"Morstan," Spencer interrupted. "Mrs. Morstan. I am an adult, and this is my family. I do hate repeating myself, so let's get this over with." He swung his legs around, laying back on the table.

"It's best to do as he asks before he decides to change his mind. He kicked a doctor during an exam once," Mary said thoughtfully. "I don't think they ever found his other tooth."

"Is that why we switched pediatricians?" Brandon added, and Abby giggled.

"That man was a menace," Spencer spat. Cold gel was applied to his chest. He felt exposed, but squeezed his hands instead of letting any other fear show as the tech turned on the machine. "Was that some of Father's new crop I smelled, Mum?" he asked, trying to distance himself from the exam.

"Oh shut up, you aren't supposed to know what that is," Mary said, blushing. Abby had to cover her mouth to keep the nervous laughter quiet. Mary glared at the new girl, looking indignant. "Besides. I had to confess to Sebastian that, oh, bollocks, I forgot to tell Sherlock. She whipped out her cell phone, speed dialing. "I have to admit, I'd hoped for a bigger scene out of Sebastian."

"Was he near something he could hit?" Spencer asked.

"Sir if you could please stop talking," the tech said testily.

"That's like asking a fish not to swim," Brandon muttered, folding his arms over his chest. Abby squeaked.

"Mary?" Sherlock's voice came over the line. "Where've you gone? You didn't leave a note-."

"I'm sorry, my love, but Finch is in hospital, it was an emergency," Mary said, and Abby's little giggles and Brandon's quips quieted down. "You see, she's um, got something wrong with her heart, it seems."

Sherlock's screaming blared through the little phone,

"Jesus Christ, Dad!" Spencer shouted.

"You didn't take us?! Is that Spencer? Is Spencer alright? He needs to be tested," Sherlock shouted.

"We're having him tested now," Mary said, trying to remain patient but her high had long worn off. She let out an exasperated sigh. "Sebastian drove, I didn't have a choice as to who came along. Shall I tell Spencer you're on your way or would you like to wait and see if he's alright?"

Sherlock's voice quieted. "I'll stay on the line," he said.

Things were quiet as Spencer fidgeted. The machine wooshed and thumped with the beat of his heart. The tech stopped to take screen shots several times, before pulling away the wand. "I'll just get these images sent off. It'll take around ten minutes for the images to be read. In the meantime, we can send you for blood work-"

Spencer sat up. "I've already had blood work. Full done up. I don't need another," he said, hopping down to find a towel to remove the offending gel.

The tech left in a huff.

"Bloody doctors. I'm fine, perfectly healthy," he scowled.

"You'd better fuckin' be," Brandon snapped, feeling tired. "Someone's gotta live from this cursed family."

"Well aren't you a ray of sunshine," Mary said, still holding her phone to her ear. "Sherlock?"

"Yes, love," Sherlock said. "Should we head out?"

"Just checking you're still on the line. He looks healthy enough, and you know I've had this test done so many times I'm practically a cardiologist myself," Mary said softly. "Are you very angry with me?"

"Mycroft said it was poison," Sherlock said over the line. "It wasn't. When did he tell you?"

Mary stood and gave the children a tight smile before escaping to the hall. "He was dying. He wanted to clear his conscience. The children seemed healthy enough, so I didn't think to tell anyone. Except Vance."

"I should've worked it out. Finch is confirmed to be a carrier?" Sherlock asked.

"Yes," Mary hiccuped, trying not to cry again. She pressed a hand to her own chest, not so much in pain but in distress. "She's in there, with tubes and machines all over. I'm- I'm a horrible mother-"

"Mary Morstan, you're a better mother than mine ever was. I'll keep John, Jack and Freya here for now. We've converged on the children once already. If Finch needs us, bring her to the cottage to recover," Sherlock said.

"Alright, darling. I'll tell her you send your love. Don't tell Jack, Sebastian requested the pleasure of doing so," Mary sniffed, trying to calm herself. "I love you, Sherlock Holmes."

"I love you, too, Mary. Come home soon. Take care of our children. I love you, I love you," he repeated. He wished she was there for him to hold.

"Where's my bloody shirt?" Spencer asked after he finally got the sticky gel off of him.

"Here," Abby said, holding it out. She'd had it balled in her lap, clinging to it for him. "Better all wrinkled than on the dirty floor."

"Thanks," Spencer said, winking at her. He tugged it on, buttoning it. "I'm fine. I'm not going to be sick."

"It's- Y'know, I didn't know Finch long, when she worked at my place. What sort of sick is it?" Abby asked, biting her lip. "Is she goin' to be okay?"

"I thought your mother was poisoned," Brandon said, deciding to ignore Abby's presence in the same way he'd ignored Thad's.

"Mother wasn't poisoned. It's heart disease. A defect, genetic," Spencer said, flicking his collar straight and tucking his shirt in. "More Holmes's lies to cover up the bullshit of our father's oldest brother. Finch will bounce back. She'll probably have a cocktail that won't even rival yours, Bran-"

"Mr. Holmes?" the tech said, returning.

Abby inched closer, taking his hand with her good one. Spencer squeezed it gently.

"According to the readings, we aren't finding any similar weaknesses in the structure of your heart," the man said, reading off a tablet screen. "However, to be on the safe side, if you feel any tightness in your chest, dizziness,-"

"Aching, vomiting, seizures, stroke or death, call the hospital," Spencer finished for him. "See, I'm fine."

"Yeah, good. At least we can be sure you won't be keeling over anytime soon," Brandon snarked, glaring at the lovers' joined hands. "Can we go now?"

Spencer reached for Brandon's hand with his free one, tipping his head. "We'll let Mum know, and go home," he said.

"Yeah. Sounds good to me," Brandon replied, squeezing Spencer's hand. Abby tried for a smile, but the blond boy made her nervous, and with all the pain killers she'd been taking, she wasn't up to her usual tough-as-nails self. Still, it was nice to be around people for a change.

"Yeah, I'm tired. If you're sure you're ready to go," she said with a yawn.

"Finch is likely already asleep with Tiger Papa watching over her," Spencer laughed. "She's got her boyfriend and whatever Thad is. You'll have to explain him to me someday, because frankly, that's a ball of crazy." He lead them both out into the hall. "Mum?"

"I'm here, baby," Mary said, fanning at her face. She smiled at him. "Are you leaving?"

Spencer squeezed both of his lovers hands before letting go. "Yes," he said tossing his arms around his mother. "I'm perfectly healthy. Like I said. No need to take me out back and shoot me." He kissed her cheek. "I've got to take these two home. Berk number one is due for his next dose of medication and Bird number two is starting to flag without her pain med and something to eat."

"Ah, you young things make me so nostalgic for the old days," Mary teased, her expression cheerfully watery. She hugged him tightly. "I think I shall be whisking Finch off for a few days of pampering at the cottage, until I'm sure she's ready to be on her own again. Being alone with these types of conditions, they make it so much worse." Her eyes were on Brandon as she spoke, and he rolled his eyes.

She knew him too well.

"Be good, Mare-mare. Tell Mumzie I said hi," Brandon told her, patting her hair.

Spencer took back Brandon's hand. "Tell everyone we say hi, and tell Finch to text me when she's home again. I'll go by to check on her more often," he said. "And remind Father to send me some of that crop." He winked at his mother, tugging Brandon back towards Abby.

"She reeks of it. She's lucky they don't pick her up on charges," Brandon muttered under his breath.

"Hush, it's medicinal," Spencer said, grabbing up Abby's hand as he passed. It made sense. One of them in one hand, and the other just there. "She can share a bit. I'll make brownies."

No comments:

Post a Comment